Monday, November 23, 2015

Warm Heart Wednesday #1

I'll be totally honest with you.
 
I didn't want to go.
 
I really, really didn't want to go.
 
But Mr. Jenny insisted.
 
So I put on my best 'not too sick' make-up.
 
And retrieved my favorite walking stick.
 
The gymnasium was hardly crowded at all...so typical of a small town craft show held in a small town local school.
 
We moved to this small town a little over a year ago and have totally and completely fallen in love.
 
And last year we went to this particular craft show and I loved it...so Mr. Jenny decided it would do me good to go again.
 
I perked up for a second when we went inside the double doors.   There is something about the smell of a gymnasium.  Memories of skinny long-legged high school crushes always come to mind...along with crepe paper strewn prom nights with those same crushes.
 
As I limped along with my walking stick, I lost interest, though...crocheted things, sewn things, knitted things...
 
...I was just not into the whole thing.   I wanted to go home.
 
Then something caught my eye.
 
It was a small booth set up with all kinds of rocks and crystals.  
 
Beautiful rocks.
 
Beautiful crystals.
 
The man manning (wasn't that fun wording?) the display was intent on a book and didn't look at us at all.
 
Or so I thought.
 
When we turned to go (alas, rocks and crystals were not on my shopping list so close to Christmas), the man reached out gently and put his hand on my arm.
 
I looked at him quizzically.  He handed me one of the larger quartz crystals I had been looking at.
 
I tried to hand it back while saying, "Oh, I'm sorry, I can't get that now.   Christmas shopping and all...you know?"
 
He said, "No, I'm giving it to you."
 
I was really shocked.   I stood there silent for a moment and then asked, "Why?"
 
"Because you need it."   He spoke in a quiet but firm voice and then returned to reading his book.
 
Mr. Jenny and I walked off slowly.   I had the crystal clutched firmly in my hand and was trying not to cry.
 
 
 
 
"Really?   Did that really happen?"  I asked Mr. Jenny.  
 
Mr. Jenny was just as surprised and shocked as I was.

We finished walking through the gymnasium while I, all the while, clutched the crystal tightly in my hand.
 
As we finished I told Mr. Jenny I wanted to thank the man again.
 
I limped over where he was just as intensely engaged in reading his book.
 
The title of the book was Healing with Crystals.  The mans eyes were gentle and brown.
 
"I wanted to thank you again," I told him sincerely.   "I will pass it along to someone else that needs it when I am done with it."
 
He closed my hand around the crystal.   "You need it.   YOU need it.   Don't give it away to anyone.  YOU keep it with you."
 
He was so emphatic, I nodded in agreement and limped away.
 
I've been carrying the crystal ever since.
 
I don't know if it makes my body feel better.
 
But it certainly makes my heart feel warm to know how much kindness exists in the world.


This post is linked to Warm Heart Wednesday #1 for week beginning November 11.  For other heart warming links, please click here.






19 comments:

Laura S Reading said...

That is such a heart warming, sweet story.
It is nice to hear of caring and generosity without expecting anything in return.

Yup, 'tis the season for those small town craft shows.
I try to hit a few myself.

Whispering Thoughts said...

I had moist eyes after reading this story.

Bookie said...

This was beautiful, Jenny. I so hope it helps you heal. I know a lot of people believe in crystals but I have no personal experience with them. But I would never rule them out! Happy Thanksgiving and more.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jenny the kindness of strangers and the love of a healing God is with you. This makes me tear up but also know that you need this healing crystal.
hugs,
Linda

Straight Up No Chaser said...

I believe that is Karma. You do so much for so many and it's your turn to have someone do something nice for you.
I wish you a happy Thanksgiving. :-)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I love your story, Jenny. My heart cried in happiness reading it. He is right, you know. That crystal is yours. Best not to overthink it. Gentle hugs to you.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Aww that gave me chills! What a sweet story and man!! I know you'll treasure it!

Melinda said...

What a wonderful story!

Take care of yourself.

M : )

Jim said...

For sure that would make you have a warm heart about the whole transaction.
Very nice for openers, maybe the best we will ever have.
..

Beth said...

Wonderful story that shows there are such kind, caring people. Happy Thanksgiving!

Gattina said...

That's a wonderful gesture, shows that there are still caring people around !

Janie Junebug said...

That is beautiful, Jenny. He saw your heart. I have a giveaway on my blog now. I'm partnering with Michele,who blogs at Angels Bark and makes jewelry at Accent Gem Designs. She emphasizes the healing power of the gems. I figure it doesn't hurt to try wearing a pretty bracelet and earrings. They might not heal me, but they make me feel good because I like pretties.

Love,
Janie

Rita said...

OMG! That brought a tear to my eye!
You do need that crystal! Keep it close. It was given with unconditional love. Nothing better or more powerful. :)

Pat Tillett said...

Hi Jenny!
What a fantastic thing to happen. A great bit of writing also. I hope that crystal serves you well...

Theresa said...

What a sweet heart-warming story of generosity! I pray that the crystal helps you feel better! HUGS! Happy Thanksgiving dear Jenny!

Anonymous said...

That is so touching, Jenny! A reminder to me to be sensitive to the need of others.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Such a wonderful story! I have carried crystals for healing. I don't know where their power comes from, but I know there is power is giving, and in receiving, a gift. (And also in encouraging one's partner to venture out to a place of positive energy.)

Betty said...

The kindness of a perfect stranger can certainly warm a heart. What a beautiful story. I'm so thankful on this Thanksgiving Day that you're writing again!

Chatty Crone said...

What a heart warming story - I hope you are feeling better!