Friday, January 11, 2013

Roy! oh Roy!

I'm sorry, man.

I love you...

...but it's not working out.

A while back my amazing naturopath suggested that I should try and 'eat the rainbow' in fruits and vegetables every day.



Of course, I had to remember the colors by muttering  'Roy G. Biv' to myself'.

It's the only way I've ever remembered the correct sequence.

However...

Repeating it over and over to yourself can cause startled glances from other shoppers in the produce department.

But regardless of the fact that I'm pretty sure the produce people roll their eyes when I walk in...

I've been really, really trying hard to take this advice...

However...

I think Roy needs a little re-do because I'm having a lot of trouble consistently eating the 'iv' part of his name.

Sure Red is easy.

Orange is easy.

Yellow is easy.

Green is kinda/sorta easy, even though I honestly cannot gag down kale in any shape or form. 

The blue is limited but at least there are always blueberries in fresh or frozen form. 

But then.

Then I get lost.

Indigo!

Indigo?

Is a blackberry technically indigo or blue?  And is black like indigo or is it...

ummm...

...just black?

And what the heck fruit or vegetable is violet?

Blueberries are kind of violet colored but then I don't have a blue.

Some grapes look kinda/sorta violet but are they really red?

Sigh.

I think to take some of the stress off, I'm going to start calling the Rainbow by it's first name, middle initial and last initial.

Good old 'Roy G. B.'.

Even though it's kinda/sorta cheating, I don't think the rainbow will mind.

post signature

17 comments:

Ms. A said...

Hahaha... just eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and that should cover it!

LLM Calling said...

here are some foryou - beetroot, red or black grapes, aubergine with skin on, red cabbage is actually purple, and yes blackberries and blueberries count. I hope that helps

Tina´s PicStory said...

great shot! :)

Slamdunk said...

Ha, I think you have definitely got that figured out.

Did you take that photo? Excellent. I saw a double one like that on a flat land once while driving to Penn State University on the back roads. It was an amazing sight.

Theresa said...

You are so funny! Eating healthy can get expensive. I bought grapes at the grocery store yesterday, $7.00! Yikes, that's a lotta dough! More fruit and greens in my diet, greens are good for my system:) Enjoy your day dear friend! HUGS!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I tend to eat green, yellow, and orange. Green = brussell sprouts, green beans, green peas, asparagus, and lettuce. Orange = sweet potatoes. Yellow = summer squash and pineapple. Every now and then, I will have blueberries. But I am stuck in my ways. Red? A tomato once in a blue moon... but what else is red? Oh, and apple, but I like mine green. What can i say? I could almost be monochromatic. ;-)

That's a funny way to remember the color spectrum, but it's a good way, too. Thanks! Now, if I could only remember whaat you just said. ;-)

XO,

She

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Roy G. Bevin, better known as Roy G B. Wait, hold the phone... it's Roy G. Bev. Whew! I couldn't think of colors for the other two letters. Don't scare me that way! ;-)

Unknown said...

I so know you can find one.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I'd just stick with ROY and G.B.....indigo makes me feel ill thinking of food like that...icky!

hugs, Linda

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I totally believe that wine counts as indigo....

just sayin....

Susan Anderson said...

haha on RMW's comment.

=D

Janie Junebug said...

I think red grapes should be considered violet. They don't look red. For green, how about some nice steamed broccoli or a spinach salad?

Love,
Janie

Jeanie said...

Rocky Mountain Above already said it, but I was thinking that wine could definitely cover the indigo requirement.

Pondside said...

It certainly is expensive to eat all that fresh fruit, especially in a country where most everything has to grow north of the 49th parallel and much of it has to be delivered north of the 50th. We rely on imports and awful lot!

Unknown said...

Just eat lots of fruit and veggies the deeper the colors the better!!

Anonymous said...

I can't handle trying to fix that many fruits and veggies so I solved the problem by creating a smoothie that has most of the rainbow in it (and it's actually yummy): https://bluegrassnotes.wordpress.com/2011/10/27/all-those-fruits-and-veggies/

Since I wrote the post I've taken to adding cranberries and, in season, beets (with a change to the apple juice and oj ratio).

Amy said...

plums! eggplant! cabbage! figs! there are a few violets for you. I just read a news report saying they were taking indigo out of the rainbow because it isn't really there in the first place. That should ease the worry, right?! Love when scientists side with us, right? Oh, and skittles are purple, and I saw a picture of some cheese cake that was purple... though that may go against the whole gluten and sugar thing, right? Sigh. Can't win, I guess.