Friday, January 22, 2010

Confusion with a chance of sparkles!

So right after I continued down my mental walk-through of the party and remember the boutonnière for my Dad, my brain screeches abruptly to a halt.

Not only are we doing this big bash for my Dad on Friday night but our wonderful nephew and his beautiful fiance are having a cocktail Engagement party shindig on Saturday night at some fancy schmancy venue. It said very clearly on the beautiful printed invitations "cocktail attire only" (which I think might be addressed to me personally but I refuse to believe they would stoop so low just to be sure I wouldn't show up in my usual flannel shirt/jean winter attire).

But because of this glitch I now remember that the black skirt I got is too long and it needs to go to the dry cleaners so they can hem it for me! So my list grows.

3. Get skirt hemmed

I'm hoping that the shoes I buy to fullfill #1 on my list will work for both things. I don't think my nephew would like my wearing my black paint spattered sandals. Some people are sooooo picky.

And since I'm continuing to think about party attire I need to check on my order for chiffon scarves and cat eye glasses! Because I have ordered a bunch of these for favors on the tables but also so we can all get dolled up in them.

I have hired a girl to come to my home on Friday afternoon to do up-do's and beehive hairdo's for some of the women in the family. We are going to be stylin'.

And since I don't want to just do something for the girls in the family I also ordered these cool switchblade combs for the guys. But I already did that so it's not going on my list! Woo hoo! And since I've already confirmed with the hair lady (who always cuts my hair anyway) I don't have to remind her but I do have to remind myself now to make sure to pick up some snacks at Trader Joes over the weekend to serve on Friday afternoon. ACCCCKKKK!

4. Snacks for hair-do party.

Which makes me recall that I need to send an e-mail out to everyone coming to get dolled up that they are supposed to wash and dry their hair before they arrive.

5. Send hair reminder out.

The natural segue to the hair reminder, of course is that WW II toy gliders that I got for favors for the guys and table decor (Another Lisa find!) need assembled. 6. Make husband assemble gliders for tables.

And now, because my granddaughter is supposed to be taking a nap I'm going to go into the dining room...by the Chuckles candy... and start sorting that out! But the list still looms large.

So I guess that should make the next thing on the list be:

7. Take up drinking for relaxation!

Which will never work because I'm allergic to alcohol, dang it.

Sigh.

If you missed the first part of this descent into party planning horror just click here to visit "Do you know where your brain is?"

36 comments:

Unknown said...

That party is going to be so much fun!

Annesphamily said...

Stop stressing girl and go have some fun! Delegate some chores so you can relax. Have a non alcoholic fancy party drink! I wish I could be at this cool party! I have a friend who whipped up two poodle skirts for my girls when they went to parochial school. They are so beautiful! They had a fifties day! It was awesome! Hang in there and know you are cared for very much! You remind me of me, the rebellious one! LOL!

Sue said...

You must have one big budget for this party! I want to have one this good:) I want to go to one this good!

I've got some shoes I'll let you borrow if you invite me!

Sue

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Earth to Sparkle Brain, it will be a wonderful party! Don't stress (ha easy to say right) and I love all these ideas and fun things you have done.

Nancy said...

I'm hooked! I stopped by to return your visit. Wandered over to your Dad's bio, totally forgot to leave a comment. Hid my reading for so long from my husband when he came home for lunch. (I WORK from home.) What a great idea!

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

I love all your creative ideas and plans for the party, and I know it will be a wonderful and great event that I am so sure will be longed remembered!! ~Enjoy!!!!~

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Love the cat eye glasses, scarves, switch blades, and planes. Neat stuff, Jenny! And I think that this party sounds infinitely more fun than the cocktail attire (required) one in the tony establishment. ;-)

XO,

Sheila

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

It's going to be fun! My son had a '50s day at kindergarten, but being a boy that just meant jeans and a white T shirt. He wouldn't even let me slick his hair back. Party pooper. He was excited to take his Hot Wheels classic cars to school, though.

Lola said...

Just stopped by to return your lovely comments - so glad you liked the designs on my page! And also to say what fun yr Alphabe Thursday is though unfortunately I'm away now for a month so will miss it!

Look forward to catching up with the fun on my return though!

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Mwah!

xxx LOLA:)

PS Am yr newest follower!

Bits-n-Pieces said...

oh man! it's gonna be so cool!! I wish I were in your family! Couldn't I be your long lost sister or something, so I could come to the party and have my hair done up and look all cool and stuff?

I can't wait to see how it all goes!!

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Jennie Sweetie, Breathe...
You have done an awesome job and everything will be just fine. Everyone, especially your Daddy is going to have the most wonderful time ever. I can't wait to see pictures of everything. You have done an awesome job, and it will be something that everyone will long remember and laugh. Such memories you have made possible sweetie.

Just keep telling yourself to breathe. Have a beautiful day and do something little for yourself. Take a minute to yourself. Something for you okay?

Country hugs from Country Wings in Phoenix. Love, Sherry

Vicki/Jake said...

My list of goals for the next week..

1)Read Jenny's blog everyday

2)Get up early Sunday morning
(the 31st) and check on Jenny

3) Laugh my @$$ off at all the fun words and pictures she shares!

You'll do fine! Can't wait to see it all happen..

Leslie said...

Oh my gosh! This is how my mind works too when I'm planning a party!!! One thought leads to another and another and the next thing you know, I'm planning the pre-planning party! (and of course, you need snacks for the pre-planning party!)
Seriously....this sounds like a FABULOUS party and all your details are amazing!!!!

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tara said...

I think your party is going to be amazing! What a lot of details you have put into it. Your carnival party sounded like a fabulous time too! The family must get so excited when they know a party is in the works. Have a fabulous weekend and happy planning!

laterg8r said...

those are some amazing party favors - i wish i lived closer b/c i swear i'd crash!!! :D

ps - gotta show us your beehive :D

Melanie said...

Oh, dear.. party planning and I just never go well! I'm sure it will all be great, though!

Thanks for dropping by and visiting me last week. Love your blog and I will be back to visit again soon.

Deb said...

I can't wait to see photos of this party...it sounds great...sounds like you have everything going right on schedule...

~Kristen~ said...

This is going to be one cool party!!! :-)

RNSANE said...

I am getting exhausted myself watching you with this party planning...but it truly seems like everything is under control. I can just imagine what the 90th birthday is going to entail...better start on that as soon as this one is over!

Lynda said...

I agree with all the comments. First I think it's wonderful you did and are doing this for your dad - - - and that you put your whole heart into it. I, too, want to see pictures of tables and hairdos.
Stay healthy and have fun. Cherish the memories.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Jenny
I finally have a free weekend and I'm catching up on all my faves.
Your Dad's party is going to be such fun! I can't wait to see pictures of it.

Still waiting for HP to send the correct optical drive--the one they sent was wrong and I had to send it back. It's so annoying to say the least as I can't download any new photos. awk!

X0 Pat

Melinda said...

I'm enjoying this list but if yoo add any more I'm going to be worried if everything gets done!
What fun this is going to be but...
now I'm tired--need to rest up for your next post. :)

Melinda

Lemonade Makin' Mama said...

What a cute idea!! You have to show us photos of your hair after she does it!! Can't wait!

mrs. c said...

This is going to e one whammer-jammer party! HAve someone take lots and lots of pics 'cause I want to see how shindig this goes!

angelina la dawn said...

wow! looks like it's going to be amazing! good luck :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

You are such a good writer, Jenny. BUT--I want to see PICTURES. Hope you either take lots of pictures to share or add a Photographer to your list. We demand it!!!!!! ha ha

Hope you got lots of those black candy pieces JUST for you.
Hugs,
Betsy

Nancy Jane said...

I'm really enjoying your adventures in party planning, and I'm oh so glad that it's you and not me orchestrating that soiree!
Nancy
ps: Really like your blog...

Rustique Gal said...

Oh boy, how can I get invited to this party? It will be the event of the decade! Sherry

Fay said...

Hello and let me commend you for doing a wonderful job with this blog. Your post are entertaining and the layout of your blog is smooth and clean.

I would like to offer my congratulations as I have finished reviewing "Jenny Matlock" and I'm happy to inform you that your blog will appear on Blogging Women.

I wish you continued success with this blog and all you do.

Janiece said...

add to list...
DO NOT FORGET THE CAMERA!
Can't wait to "see" all the fun you had...because we know it will be!
ENJOY!

MrsJenB said...

It's going to be so much fun, you have come up with so many great ideas and have clearly put your heart into it, there's no way it can go wrong. And remember something I was told countless times while planning my wedding: No one will know how you WANTED it to be, only how much fun it IS. And it will be fun!!

Also, I second the request for beehive pics!

Jana said...

Jenny, I want to go to a party thrown by you! I wish I lived closer I would do your hair free of charge, I rock at pretty hair, a little known talent...Im sorry I have been MIA...

Moore Minutes said...

Having someone come to do everyone's hair is the BEST IDEA!!! I LOVE IT!! :D You're a genius.

Unknown said...

dont forget to get a picture of the beehives...some day I am going to get one and put christmas lights in it....hee hee

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Jenny, I've been sick and missed photos of so many developments!

You have so many favors and things! I wish I could be a fly on the wall at this shindig!