Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Story-Time Tuesday Chapter 18

If you missed TALES FROM HOME - Chapter 17 just click here to read it.
Jenny Matlock

TALES FROM HOME - Chapter Eighteen

As the happy little house continued its reverie, Julia began her own.

She dreamt of dancing in the kitchen, wearing her checkered apron patterned in blue teakettles and white kittens and her tired feet moved in the bed to the memory of that happiness. The excitement of finding the sad little house and sleeping in the dusty, cozy bed with her sisters the first time made her snuggle a bit deeper into the warmth of the faded old quilts. The thrill of discovering the chipmunks and the kittens made her smile in her sleep.

But in the same way dreams sometimes turn into nightmares, Julia’s slumbering thoughts turned into dreadful worries about the future.

Julia’s mind became filled with thoughts of storms building and forest fires threatening. She saw the wide, fearful eyes of her sisters looking to her for safety. She tossed and turned.

She dreamt about white, glittering snow falling and the dense, billowing smoke that had filled the kitchen when she had finally figured out how to make the giant, black stove work the first time. Would the stove and the fireplace in the living room keep them warm in the winter? And could they even find enough wood? She saw the wide, fearful eyes of her sisters looking to her for warmth. She shivered in her sleep.

A vision of the garden came to her mind: baskets of food piled up for winter and those same baskets growing empty. She saw the wide, fearful eyes of her sisters looking to her for their meals. She held her stomach and moaned.

The nightmares overwhelmed Julia’s mind, banishing all her happy thoughts. She tossed and she turned and she thrashed and she moaned.

She sought comfort from her sisters, but no matter how far she stretched out her arms she could not touch them.

The little house had watched Julia become more and more upset as her fears multiplied.

“I am here, I am here, I am here,” it whispered, but Julia seemed unable to hear the words of comfort.

“Wake up, wake up, wake up,” it whispered to her, but she was unable to hear the words of advice.

In desperation, the worried little house gathered all its energy and shouted, “Julia, wake up!”

To be continued on Tuesday, August 25th.

(c) 2010 Jennifer R. Matlock
This publication is the exclusive property of Jennifer R. Matlock and is protected
under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this post/story may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, Jennifer R. Matlock. All rights reserved.

post signature

14 comments:

Jocelyn said...

PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wake up Julia...wake up!!!!

Thanks for sharing with us!!!! Another great Tuesday!!!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Yes, Wake up Miss Julia...call Prince Charming quick! This is great girl, you are one talented sister my dear.

God bless ya and have a marvelous day sweetie!

Viki said...

I really liked this chapter. I think it's one of my favorites.

NatureGirl said...

Thank you so much for your kind encouragement on my "Going Bananas" post. I have only recently found your blog and...don't take this the wrong way but...I think I am in love!

Susan Anderson said...

I'm with Viki. (My two favorite chapters in consecutive weeks.) I think we're getting to the crux of things...
=)

Tina said...

Yes! Wake UP! Hurry! I'm feeling the urgency...as I've been predicting...and even though I got two chapters today (having been gone) I still want more!!!

Pat Tillett said...

Really good Jenny!
You are very good at this.

Wake up!!!

Marlene said...

Another wonderful entry! I'm gonna be sad when this winds up!

Linda Medrano said...

The "wide fearful eyes of her sisters" with the repetition is very powerful. You showed the dream state here and so eloquently! Love it!

The Words Crafter said...

Ah, it begins! I hope some lonely and misunderstood outcast happens along and takes them under her protective wing. And a lonely hermit, searching for berries, finds them and they all live happily ever after in the happy house....

Mrs. M said...

I totally get these feelings and dreams (nightmares) Julia is having - it is so like us to worry and kids worry 100% more. I hope the house can wake her up!

Lourie said...

Oh that poor little dear! Wake up Julia! Wake up!

Unknown said...

what will the little house do? such a cute story....

Terra said...

Oh man Jenny you really got me tonight, I am so glad I chose now to read this. Our worries and fears can really be all consuming at times and yet there is always someone or something nearby just waiting for you to grab on, wake up......