Wednesday, December 1, 2010

We interrupt regularly scheduled tangets to...

...bring you some random ramblings for Wednesday.

...lucky you.

Or not.

Friday was a fun day here. We got our oldest Grand and made her work her little tutu off. We hauled firewood, took a load of stuff to the dump and planted a cabbage plant hoping to grow a 'giant cabbage' that might win her a scholarship through a school project.

The cabbages name is "Greg" after her Dad. She picked that name cuz her Dad is super tall, almost 6'8". I told her it wasn't how tall the cabbage was, it was how big around it was. She looked at me closely, and I'm pretty sure she wanted to name the cabbage "Grandma" but she was too polite to say so.




Mid-afternoon we returned Granddaughter 1 and picked up Granddaughter 2.

In addition to picking their parties for their birthdays, they get to spend the night at Grandma and Grandpa's all by themselves while we finish up last minute details for the birthday festivities.

Mr. Jenny made a lovely bonfire (using the wood that Granddaughter 1 helped haul!) and I found out that boys of 60+ still think the way to cook marshmallows is to incinerate them. I cooked my golden brown and perfect...cuz I'm cool like that!



We went to bed pretty early, so we would be ready for the Birthday party the next day.

It's a good thing I rested up!

We played all kinds of relays including push the lemon, carry the beans, three legged races and balloon pops.










The kids of all ages enjoyed pizza, chips and cake!


And then Hannah Montana showed up after all to complete a perfect party day for a little seven year old!





This concludes my random Wednesday blogpost.

You can quit dozing off now!

post signature

28 comments:

Theresa said...

Very exciting day with the granddaughters! I love those relays and enjoy watching all of the kids participate! Hope the cabbage wins a prize! I love cabbage, I think I will have it for dinner:) HUGS!

Kat said...

What a joyous post to wake up to Jenny! You always make my day :) Kat

Cheryl said...

That first photo of the Birthday Grand? A Maze Ing! These images will stick with me all day long.

Jocelyn said...

Oh how wonderful this post is!!! I adore all the pics and they exude the love for your family!!!! Looks like a great time was had!!!

Wishing you a Wonderful Wednesday!!

Maggie said...

Looks like kids of all ages had fun that day.
Was that a 3 legged race going on??
Maggie

Deb said...

those are the best parties...outdoors kids playing..running laughing...my daughter always loved her birthday parties...she always got really creative with them...my son hated them so we gave up when he was 9or 10....

Theresa Plas said...

awwwww....memories and good times!

Ames said...

Good clean fun! I like those kind of parties for kids and I think they like them the best too! Lot's of fresh air and food and dirt. Kids grow on dirt. It was a memory maker grandma. You did good!~Ames

Ames said...

Good clean fun! I like those kind of parties for kids and I think they like them the best too! Lot's of fresh air and food and dirt. Kids grow on dirt. It was a memory maker grandma. You did good!~Ames

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Thanks for inviting us to the party -- I sure had fun! What a wonderful time everyone looks like they're having.

Unknown said...

Am I the only one that thinks it's pretty cool that you can plant at this time of year?

And I'm with Mr. Jenny...marshmallows are best with a charcoal coating and mushy center. Yummmmmmmm.

Terra said...

oh what a wonderful day, wonderful party, wonderful memories! I love how Hannah showed up. Perfect.

Jeanie said...

I love the party pics. Kids birthday partys are the best and this looks like it was fun, fun, fun. You are a good grandma.
That first pic of the birthday girl is one for the ages.

CB said...

I love that one picture in the middle where your granddaughter has her mouth open - Sooooo stinkin' cute!
You sound like a very very fun grandma.
And I cracked up that grandpa still likes to burn his marshmallows - ha ha!

Lorrie said...

Planting a cabbage in December - I'm amazed!
It does my heart good to see your involvement in your grandchildren's lives. Our first is due in 10 days and I'm watching other grandparents closely to see what kind of Nana I want to be.
I want to be one like YOU.

Susan Anderson said...

What a perfect way to spend a birthday!

My parents used to pick up the kids for their birthdays, take them to dinner at the place of their choice, and then go to Toys R Us to buy whatever suited their fancies.

Needless to say, they had happy b-days, indeed.

=)

Wanda..... said...

That was a creative way to come through with Hannah Montana!

Betty said...

How could I doze off? I still say you sound like a fun Grandma!

My Grama's Soul said...

Oh Jenny....what a wonderful post about your beautiful family.....AND LOOK AT ALL THOSE RED HEADS!! Lovely.

Xo

Jo

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

And a lovely time, was had by all!!!

Then Grandmother had the weekend, to rest up. Right? -giggles-

Amy said...

I was curious how you would be able to fill that Hannah Montana request. You never disappoint, do you? What a great tradition, and I am sure that cabbage is not secretly named "Grandma." It is just your imagination. :/

Cheryl D. said...

It sounds like a very nice couple of days!

Busy Bee Suz said...

What a fabulous birthday party!!!!!
Let us know how Greg grows...that should be interesting.
Men + fire=not a good combo. :)

Sue said...

You name cabbages at your house? Why doesn't that surprise me!! The party looks like fun...just made my day to see all those happy faces!

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Sounded like a fun old fashioned Birthday party.
Dana

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Cool fun party! I love the guitar pinata! You are just the best grands, even if Mr Jenny does burn his marshmallow!

Pondside said...

What a party!
Of course you checked yourself into a spa the next day.

Moore Minutes said...

This all looks so fun and exciting! I'm sure spending the night at Grandma and Grandpa's is a highlight for them.

And 6'8" is TALL! Wow. My husband is 6'3" and I thought that was tall. lol