Sunday, July 31, 2011

Gentleman...Draw your weapons...

My spurs jingled and the crowd fell away…intimidated perhaps by my steely determination and my fully- loaded holster.

I strode up the sidewalk to the location I had found earlier.

Glancing through the crowd, I discarded faces until I came to ugly features of my arch enemy.

He quickly turned his grizzled face away from me, but not before I saw fear flicker in his sun-faded grey-blue eyes.

The fight was on.

When the starting gun sounded, I quickly grabbed the Pam from my holster.

The annual Frying-an-egg-on-the-sidewalk contest in Oatman had begun.
The ‘Bad-Egg Outlaw' was going down.



This post is linked to Week 65 of Saturday Centus. There is no word prompt this week, just the picture above and 100 words to tell the tale. To see other offerings just click here.

AND...

Oatman, Arizona does feature an Egg Frying contest each July.

I've never entered before.

But 2012 might be the year!

post signature

23 comments:

noexcuses said...

Very intense! I loved it!

Ms. A said...

I pity you and your AZ heat! We're frying here, too!

Sharon said...

LOL! What a fun take on the picture! I had no idea folks actually do this. Hope things cool down a bit for you. Again, thanks for hosting!

Tgoette said...

Hope you are managing to stay cool, Jen! This was a great, dramatic, edge-of-your-seat thriller! Those sidewalk chefs don't play around! LOL!

Susan Anderson said...

Guess he got his just desserts.

(breakfasts?)

;)

Bookie said...

Love the cowboy showdown over the eggs. But I have to ask: was this the beginning of the Western Omelet??

Kim Lehnhoff said...

In my head, I heard the jangling of stainless steel egg turners.

Great job!

And love Bookie's comment...very funny!

cj Schlottman said...

Love the Old West feel of this, Jenny! Pam in a holster? Really? You are too much!

Namaste...........cj

Nonna said...

Hahahaha ! I love westerns and adored this tense and thrilling treatment Jenny...vivid and clever.

Just for the record, some serious contest chefs do have holsters for their equipment so why not put Pam in there too ???

Pondside said...

I guess it's reeeeeally hot where you are! Up here it would end up being a petrified egg!

Ames said...

Doo~dah~doo~dah~doo~~~ Wah~ wah~ wah....

Jenny, You forgot the set up music from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!...I provided it for you!

:D~Ames

Dazee Dreamer said...

Drew out your pam. Too funny.

That would be actually kind of fun to go to.

Lynn said...

The showdown at sun-up:@)

To the Toy Box and Beyond said...

awesome I wouldnt mind going to Oatman. In fact that is what I wrote about on my blog and people keep asking me if it is a real contest. Like I would make something like that up

Jo said...

Oh you must enter!!! just so we can all participate vicariously!!! and loved the Pam in the holster ... i just want to know what you use those spurs for!

Amy said...

Such a cute story! I need to try that. It has always been on my list of things to do.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love this tale!!!

21 Wits said...

Oh yeah!....and down he went, "splat!"

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Loved the imagery in this. The egg desperados sounded so ... well, desperate! You folks in AZ take your egg frying seriously! Great job Jenny. laurie

jfb57 said...

Miss Jenny - such violence! I'm dismayed! ;) Brilliant fun!

jeff campbell said...

Throwdown, western style...Yippee-hi-ho!! Ouch!

Unknown said...

Dear Jenny,
This is so funny!

Sorry I am so late with my comments. I am still working on the move.

Best wishes,
Anna
'John Tell, expert on tourism' Anna's SC wk 65

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

LOL. This was great, Jenny! I was shaking over here until you/the narrator grabbed that Pam. I'm still on the edge of my seat, though. Will there be a sequel?
xoRobyn