Friday, March 4, 2011

Some deep thoughts about courageous people...

Courageous people are cool.

Don't you think?

They are fearless.

And brave.

They keep going in spite of adversity.

They face every obstacle with a steady hand and a steady gaze.

And many courageous people take what they have learned and share that painful knowledge to help others...

Right?

Now I'm not saying I'm a courageous person...

Because most courageous people are pretty humble...

So when I share this with you, I don't want to think I'm being all full of my bravery and everything...

But...

I do have something to share with you that I have learned out of great personal suffering...

Ahem...

If you have a tooth extracted, do not eat corn. It is very difficult to get the corn out. It will make you all queasy feeling and will look disgusting when you finally do.


...

I know, I know. Thank you for the applause, but hold on. I have more wisdom to impart to you here today.

I've also learned it's not a good idea to eat peas. Or garbanzo beans after you have a tooth extracted.


Let me give you a moment to take that in.

...

Are you OK? I know that might have been a hard thing for you to read.

But...knowledge gained through suffering should be shared, right?

Now I know you are probably thinking about calling that guy on the late show or Oprah or someone to try and get me interviewed so the world can share in this uplifting and courageous information...

...but I will have to refuse should they call me.

I am not about self aggrandization. (although you have to admit that is a pretty big word for such a humble woman!)

I am here simply to help others in a quiet, self-effacing,courageous way.

...

...

Thank you for reading this post.

...and sharing my simple story of modest courage.

Feel free to share it with others that might need uplifting or encouragement.

Or with others who might be dumb enough to eat small, circular vegetables and/or fruits after they get a tooth pulled.

And while you're warning them you might want to mention M&M's. Oddly, they don't always melt in your mouth as quickly as you might imagine.

Sigh...

post signature

30 comments:

fialka012 said...

Zajimavý blog...hezký den...

Shay said...

Advice noted. And very timely might I add since I am having oral surgery myself next month and will have a hole appromximately the size of a moon crater in my mouth for some time afterwards.

Yes- you are courageous (and helpful too!) Im not sure I'll be giving up the m and m's though .Think I'll take my chances there.

Unknown said...

You and your humble self sacrificing martyrdom shall go down in the annals of history. I wouldn't be surprised at all if you were anointed sainthood status at some point. St. Jenny. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

ImagiMeri said...

Silly girl.........call me sweetie!

Love ya'
Meri

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Already hollered at you, about trying to eat the corn. Please tell me, you didn't really try to eat peas, garbanzo beans, M&M's tooo, did you?

You need a spanking.

-sigh-

You must have a blender. Blend, blend, blend your food, till you get over this hole-on-the-mouth thing. Please.........

Btw, did they used to call this trouble you have, a "Dry Socket"? Back in the olden days? Very painful, it was. Sure sounds like what you have....

Repeat -sigh-

Donnie said...

Stay away from the caramel too...lol...Hope you are coming along.

Theresa said...

Oh the things I learn from reading your blog:) You teach me soooo much about teeth missing and getting vegetables hung up in the hole!

I am calling Oprah right now, she is going to want an interview and I am going to make sure it happens!

BIG HUGS!

Willoughby said...

Your courage is truly inspiring. I know that you are not seeking fame or notariety by sharing your experience, but I really do think your story would make a wonderful Lifetime Network movie (who would you want to portray you?).

Anonymous said...

Mercy! Sweet Jenny, I hope you did not eat peas, beans and M&M's before you learned that is was not good to do so with that hole in your mouth where there was once a tooth. I hope you have that hole all cleaned out and it is well on its way to healing. Bring on the soup and mashed potatoes for awhile. :) Thank you for getting the word out so people will know what they should not eat after having a tooth extracted. Reading this post almost made my teeth hurt. Hugs

Jeanie said...

Believe me, it will get better and take less bravery as it heals. I will (finally) be getting my implant in about a month. I may miss that little hole in my mouth...it is a good place to store and M&M or two for later :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jenny you are just so Brave! I am humbled by your humbleness! Hope your mouth is better soon. Hugs, Linda

Pondside said...

Oh dear. I'm listening, and should I need a tooth extraction I'll be sipping only clear broth, and thanking you, my courageous friend, for this generous advice!

MrsJenB said...

Jenny, I am as always truly humbled by the gift of your very presence in the world. You never. stop. giving.

Next stop: your own show on the Oprah network!

Judie said...

I would like to add that you should not chew gum if you have a loose crown! It could cost you an obscene amount of money!!!

Cheryl D. said...

Also, you should never eat spinach without checking your teeth afterward. Sigh.

J said...

Your wisdom astounds me.

Jo said...

LOL ...sorry to laugh, i know you are in pain ... but my gosh ... next time pass on the m&m, and go straight for the hersheys kisses ... a little big yes, but they are full of chocolatey love with no annoying hard shell ...

wheatgerm said...

I wish I was brave

Busy Bee Suz said...

Jenny, I am so sorry that YOU have to endure these things just so WE can all learn from them.
I hope you are feeling better.
xooxox
Suz

H said...

I'm sitting here trying not to imagine how disgusting that corn must have looked when you finally got it out from the tooth hole! Gross!!

H said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Eep! What would the world be like without the great wisdom of Jenny Matlock? Noted. I will never eat small things if I ever have a tooth extracted. Wow. I cannot even imagine. Thanks for the heads up! :)

noexcuses said...

Oh wise and humble one...I am most grateful for your words!

I'm glad it's over and done! Treat yourself to melted M&Ms over ice cream! No bits & pieces to worry about there!

Melinda said...

Good to know.
Haven't seen you for awhile at Dreamung. Come by and get caiught up.

Have a great weekend.

Melinda

Pearl Maple said...

Very thoughtful of you to share this information. Ran into a good quote once about courage, something about they were not any braver than us, but they held on for that moment longer. Sometimes that is all it takes, a minute.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I shall definitely learn from your experience, Jenny. Thank you, brave woman.

RNSANE said...

Thankfully, I have not had the this experience, corn lodged in a hole left from a tooh extraction.
You have my sympathy.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

LOL You really gave me a laugh. I just had braces put on in December and I'm always fussing about things getting caught in them. I wish I could have gone through this at 15 instead of at 50!

Sorry about your infection. Feel better.

vivian said...

lol! thank you for sharing such important info. I will certainly remember that and if I have any teeth pulled, I will eat mashed potatos and ice cream!
xo
vivian

Bonnie said...

You are too funny. I remember this when I had my wisdom teeth extracted! Hope you are feeling good though.