Wednesday, September 7, 2011

BEEEEEPPPP!!!! BEEEEEEPPPPPP!!!!!

Hi, this is Mr. Jenny. I'm sorry to interrupt Jenny’s daily blog but it is necessary for this important follow-up. For those of you who follow Sundays with Steve, you recall that my 5-foot tall grandmother motored around the Northwest for many years in her 1957 Cadillac.

I saw this ad on-line this morning. Granby would roll over in her grave if she saw it.

Jenny will be back later today for that Alphabet thing she does, unless something really exciting happens again!


1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham



$120,000

Mileage: 76100 Condition: Mint Interior: Blue leather Exterior: Lake Placid Blue

Description:

The 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham presented here is an exceptional example finished in its original color, Lake Placid Blue. Having been well maintained and properly stored its whole life, the Eldorado Brougham has remained a straight and solid automobile and shows just over 76,000 miles on the odometer. In order to elevate the overall quality of the car, it was recently treated to a comprehensive mechanical and cosmetic restoration. The Cadillac was professionally stripped and repainted, the car’s extensive brightwork was replated as needed, and the interior was correctly reupholstered in blue cloth with blue leather. The brushed stainless steel roof is in superb condition and the suspension has been retrofitted with conventional springs for trouble free ownership and use. With such desirable comfort features as power steering, power brakes, power windows, power locks and air conditioning to name a few, this Cadillac provides an outstanding driving experience. Considered a modern classic, the Eldorado Brougham was without peer when new – and many collectors feel the same sentiment applies as much today as it did then.

The Story

Truly the last of the handcrafted Cadillac’s, only 905 Eldorado Broughams were built from 1957 through 1960. Inspired by the Eldorado Brougham dream car of 1955, from the outset they were conceived, developed and carefully custom crafted with but one objective in mind – to provide the finest limited-production luxury motor car possible for the world’s most discriminating motorists.

Unmatched by any of its contemporaries, the Eldorado Brougham represents the pinnacle of American luxury car design. Certainly its price, at more than $13,000, had no precedent in postwar General Motors history.

The design was unique, with a four door pillarless hard top, pedestal mounted seats and a stunning brushed stainless steel roof. No luxury was overlooked, including a bar and vanity set. It had the finest materials and its options included every comfort and convenience feature Cadillac could conceive, including air conditioning, an E-Z Eye tinted windshield, and automatic headlight dimmer, and a raft of power-operated accessories.

The Eldorado Brougham also introduced another exclusive for Cadillac – air ride suspension. This breakthrough technology provided and unmatched ride, both soft and supple, and it kept the car level regardless of load or road conditions. The System was complex, with air chambers, rubber bellows, and an array of lines, valves, and solenoids. Unfortunately, the system was extremely expensive to manufacture, and Cadillac was unable to find ways of bringing this cost down. This, in addition to the frequent and specialized service required to keep the air ride system functioning properly, prompted Cadillac to discontinue the Feature after the 1960 model year.

$120,000 firm 989-XXX-XXXX


This is me, Jenny. Seriously. I couldn't stop him. He was soooo excited to share this with you.

All I have to add at this time is...

sigh...

post signature

16 comments:

Donnie said...

Do you think the seller will get that much? It sure is a beautiful car. We had a 55 Chevy BelAire that Don would love to find but there are big bucks involved in car restorations.

Sandy said...

I remember as a kid living in Miami, my father had a car that looked like this one.. it was so BIG!
Sandy

noexcuses said...

What a treat for the eyes! It's absolutely gorgeous!

Rosalind Adam said...

My knowledge and interest in cars rarely extends beyond the colour so may I join you, Jenny? *sigh*

Sharon said...

It's a beautiful car! It would be such a treat to ride in one of these stately relics just once! Enjoy your memories!

Unknown said...

The two of you are too much fun! What a car!

Bethe77 said...

What a beautiful Caddie! And to think someone will ahve that much money to give for that ol'gal! If I had that kind of cash I do believe I would have to buy that beauty!
Blessings

Pondside said...

Now that is truly a land boat!

Theresa said...

Now, Mr. Jenny... HOW could you spoil that surprise Jenny was planning to get you that car! Well, Jenny will just have to come up with something else:) hehe

HUGS!

21 Wits said...

This is very cool! My girlfriend and I were driving on a freeway into Las Vegas when I changed lanes because something was holding up traffic...it was a Cad just about like this, but PINK with a white top and can you believe who was driving the car? Yep, if you said Elvis, (the young) Elvis in his white jump suit and thick, very thick extremely black hair...going to his show no doubt. I think even that would do some serious rolling over!

Susan Anderson said...

Wow. That's quite the hefty price tag. I had no idea those classic cars cost so much!

We used to have one just like it, but it was pink. Can you believe???

Sheesh.

=)

Ms. A said...

They don't make 'em like that anymore. We didn't have AC in a car, until 1967. I remember some long, hot trips.

Allie said...

Oh MY Goodness! Umm I know my first house didn't cost that much! lol
Just buy it Steve, Jenny won't mind!

Judie said...

Jenny, it's a guy thing!

My BFA's son got a new old car last week. I had to visit her on Monday to plan an art project on Monday and when I arrived there was an old Eldorado in the driveway. I thought maybe one of our ancient members of the Guild had stopped by. I learned that it was her son's new old car. Wonder what his friends think????

Betty said...

I have this thing where I say I'll never pay as much for a car as we did for our first house. Our first house was $29,000 in the early 70's. I can't imagine paying that much for a 1957 car, but my guess is that someone will.

Caroline said...

Beautiful! I love the cars of '57. I could so see myself driving this one...any of them. ;-)