Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Listen...I'm not trying to spread neighborly gossip but...

...my neighbors are NOT very environmentally aware.

Seriously.

Don't tell them I said so, though, okay?

Because we share a wall.

And their driveway is kind of/sort of next to my front yard.

And they have a whole lot of little kids that they could train to wreak havoc on Mr. Jenny and me.

It's just that...

Well...

I'm a gardener, right?

Which means that I garden.



And because I'm a cool, hip, recycling kind of gardener I use compost bins. (Yes, people do say 'cool and hip'. Well, at least the 'cool and hip' ones do!)

And in the compost bins are ... ummm... bugs. (shudder, shudder)

Kinda/sorta giant bugs. (shudder, shudder)

Usually I make Mr. Jenny turn the compost for me, but Tuesday morning I decided to be independent and do it myself.

And in the process I knocked the bin over...


...and all kinds of giant, scary, man-eating bugs came running out trying to attack my coral pink crocs. (shudder, shudder)

Okay.

Maybe they weren't really giant...

...and I might concede the fact that they probably weren't man-eating...

...but there were a lot of them.

And of course, that made me scream...

...a lot...

...at the top of my lungs...

...for a long time.

(Oh, don't roll your eyes at me. You would probably scream your lungs out, too, if you saw all those creepy crawly bugs...(shudder, shudder) )

However...

My aforementioned neighbors have this second story balcony that looks down over my garden.


And after my screaming, hissy, bug-deterring dance was over I heard my name...

"Jenny, oh Jenny? Are you okay? Do you need help?"

And when I looked up, there was my neighbor. On the balcony. And I felt like an idiot.

And I shouted up to her, "Oh, just fine...sorry...there were lots of bugs in my compost bin this morning."

And she shouted back...

AND I QUOTE...

"If bugs make you scream, maybe you shouldn't have a garden!"

WHAT!!!!

Seriously????

I took a deep breath all ready to start explaining how I was reducing my carbon footprint, and recycling kitchen waste and growing environmentally responsible organic food...

...but when I looked up again SHE HAD GONE BACK INSIDE!

I kid you not!

The nerve of some people.

I mean, it's not like I was screaming that loud.

And even if I was...

...so what?

I was just doing my part to save the Earth.

And all I got for it was that snarky remark. And a lot of anxiety from a million giant, creepy bugs. (shudder, shudder)

Sigh...

post signature

36 comments:

Sharon said...

It's ok, Jenny. There are snakes in my garden that make me do that dance, too. :)

Willoughby said...

I don't blame you, I would probably have screamed, too!

We don't have a compost bin, but I'm deathly afraid of the wood pile. I've seen some pretty huge spiders lurking between the logs.

Unknown said...

JDaniel would love them!

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I thought bugs were the most awesome part of the garden! I miss my yard and my compost pile. All I have now are the maggots in the garbage can, and it's getting too cold for them. They are not as many or as squirmy as they used to be.

Theresa said...

Good for you Ms. Jenny for doing your part to save the Earth! The Neighbors are just jealous of your hard work and shrill screams:) Have a blessed day, hopefully bugless!

Rachel said...

There are some truly scary things to be found in gardens...which is part of the fun really. Nature is terrifyingly fascinating in all it's sliminess.

I miss gardening, in spite of garden monsters.

Carol said...

Well, no more extra goodies from the garden for them! {Insert raspberry here!} I will handle snakes and even have 3 spiders living in my door on my upper deck....but a grasshopper will make me scream and pee my pants!!!

Ames said...

At least you don't do the "I've got a bug in my hair get it off me!" epileptic dance around your yard while all your neighbors are watching you make a fool out of yourself. Yeh that's me. I might as well have been standing there wearing my underwear outside of my cloths. I look the fool no matter what I do. Heck I can't even sit in a folding chair without going legs up and flat on my back. So what's a little screaming for the neighbors gonna hurt? Maybe you could turn your screams into a song like that song "Signs" by Five Man Electric Band, only you could scream the words "Bugs! Bugs! Every where's a bug!"....~Ames :)

Pondside said...

Snarky, indeed! I think that your neighbour needs 'Neighbour Lessons' because that was an exceedingly un neighbourly comment. I hope SHE doesn't get any pumpkins from your garden!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Too funny! This post made me laugh. What a way to start the morning out right. I could just see those little crocs shiver with the thought of a creepy crawly coming inside. And, oh the nerve of that neighbor. Sometimes people just have to scream for a little lung exercise. What better time than when critters are cheering you on.

LuLu Kellogg said...

I will be glad to come, take a shovel and fling over some buggies in her yard...sounds like she needs a few friends! *giggle*

xoxo

Unknown said...

I should have a compost... I have a weird facination with bugs. I don't want to touch them or have them touch me mind you but I do like to observe them in their habitat (as long as it's not on me or in my house!) & I love to snap photos:-)

Judie said...

I'm screamin' at a lot of stuff in my yard lately, but I'm only doing it in my head, because I have the neighbor from hell, and she would call the police on me. Only last night, I put the dogs in the screened in porch for a while, and Mulligan was barking. Rod let them in, because he said he didn't want to get a call from Paula! She's crazy--after all, she DID marry her own cousin!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way. Just because I don't like bugs doesn't mean I don't appreciate the job they do. I'd just rather not be involved in helping them do that job! =>

Susan Anderson said...

She's just jealous.

;)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Your neighbors should be replaced. By me. :) Everyone knows that bugs in our compost are the best kinds of bugs.

Dazee Dreamer said...

I would have been there screaming as loud as you. That would have really rocked your neighbors socks off.

Barbara F. said...

That was rather snarky of your neighbor! xo

Annette said...

"Snarky" --- That word is fun to say. I'd say she's jealous! I would've screamed too, if it happened to me. Unfortunately, my scream would've been followed with a curse word.

Rebeca Trevino said...

bugs are the BEST thing!
keep composting - our tomatoes are thriving because of those bugs.

(glad you survived!)

Nonna said...

Some people you just want to slap a few times !

I say she's just jealous of your gardening prowess and that snarky remark proves it !

I would not have screamed over giant bugs or snakes...just spiders but kudos for all that work and that beautiful garden !!!

Diane said...

Rude. I have giant man-eating wolf spiders living in my garage and basement that make me scream and run like a banshee on fire!

Ms. A said...

You just keep doing what you're doing and dance and scream if you need to! As long as your neighbor doesn't report you to the Orkin man, she can think what she wants.

Maude Lynn said...

Hopefully some of the bugs headed her way!

Holly said...

It must be so fun being you!!!!
I don't like the bug thing either...especially if one gets on me!!!

Lisa H. said...

Yucky bugs. I would be jumping and making funny noises too. I can handle snakes and lizards and even tarantulas...but I do not like creepy, crawly bugs!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Shiver me timbers...scary bugs...uck! I'd take a bug over a snake any day of the week! Different strokes...

Hey, at least your Tiny Town wasn't on the Today show this mornin' noted for it's gossip! Seriously!

Have a greatly blessed day my sweet friend! :o)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I think you are very brave to garden knowing there are man eating bugs. I say continue and what's a few screams between neighbors!

blueviolet said...

I would have taken a clump of that buggy earth and thrown it up on that balcony!

Annesphamily said...

You are brave! I had a snake in my old house and garden. He lives in a hole on the side of the house. My hubby says he is going to go to the open house and put a little sign over that whole that says "Snake House" serve 'em right for selling that house and painting over the mold! Ha Ha! I am glad we bought a different house rather than rent that rattle trap!
Your neighbor is nosey! Those are the worst ones!

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

I don't garden... because of the bugs. I'm glad others do though : )
Dana

Lourie said...

I would have said, "Oh no! I would be screaming too!" haha Because I would have. I am glad the bugs didn't eat you, or your pink crocs. :)

bj said...

woo hoo...I don't like bugs, either. Hate'em. Shame on your neighbor for being mean. No excuse for it...
Good for you, having a compost pile.
xoxo bj

Dapoppins said...

What was that crazy lady thinking! Huh!

Amy said...

Well, I sort of see her point. There is no gardening without bug encounters. But she doesn't realize what an awesome man you married, and all that jazz, right? :)

P.S. Teach me to garden, please!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Ewwww, I would have been screaming too. Be sure you don't give your neighbor any produce from your garden. After all, if she wants produce, she should plant a garden, and deal with all of the bugs, since she obviously has no problem with that! Your little pumpkins look pretty. laurie