Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sundays with Steve - Medical Emergency (???)

These Sunday's segments are written by my husband, Mr. Jenny. Here's what he has to say about his posts:

I’ve been writing these weekly stories about life in Northern Idaho, as a youngster and as growing into a young man, primarily for our family. And I'm delighted to share them with you. Just between us, I’m anticipating being cranky when some whipper-snapper who may not even be born yet harasses me in 30 years or so with 'Grandpa, tell me about when you were a boy.' That will probably be after the mad cow disease has set in and erased whatever memory is left. So these are the not-so-dramatic adventures of a Baby Boomer in the 1950s, 60s and 70s.

MEDICAL EMERGENCY

I was hard at work writing today’s post for you – another one of those observations of life, when my current observation of life landed on my lap. “Grampa, help me. Can you pull this tooth for me?” This girl has rarely let anyone touch one of her loose baby teeth -- this is number eight -- and I’m afraid I have to take the afternoon off to tend to this family emergency.

Here are some photos showing you that we really are hard are work (I’m the one with not much hair on top, Riley is the one with the loose tooth.

We’ll be back next week.



NOTE FROM JENNY: Is there anything funnier than a man trying to pull a little kids tooth? I think not! So far, she has been laying on the kitchen counter while he tries to ease it out gently with a small pair of pliers !!!! He has been making her eat an apple. They have been wiggling it like crazy! For the love of dental floss, can't they just let it fall out naturally? Geez!

(c) 2010 Stephen J. Matlock
This publication is the exclusive property of Stephen J. Matlock and is protected
under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this post/story may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, Stephen J. Matlock. All rights reserved.

15 comments:

Pondside said...

That took me back! ....tiny baby tooth and big-man fingers (and add to that a certain male squeamishness with inflicting any discomfort in this whole process despite the daughter's cry of 'just pull it out Daddy!')........and I'll be it's way worse for a granddad!

Ames said...

Well my father was our go to man for dental emergencies too. I dreaded the pliers but preferred the dental floss tied to a door knob over the pliers any day.. I am shivering just thinking about it!~Ames

La said...

Ah, the joys of grand-parenthood!

Judie said...

A little Ora-gel and a quick snap! Then it's straight to the pillow for that tooth!!

Unknown said...

His way sounds like more fun!

Ms. A said...

I'm not good at much, but this is something I AM good at! Yes, yes... first the Ora Gel. Then, place thin cloth or gauze over the tooth, for grip. Make sure to grasp at the gum line and pull. I think it helps that I have small hands. Good luck!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

We go through days of this with one of our granddaughters! She thinks she wants it out, but when someone reaches in to get it, she clamps her mouth shut and whines about wanting it out! Good luck getting the tooth out of that little cutie's mouth. laurie

Unknown said...

WAY too adorable! LOL

mub said...

Speaking of dental floss... my mom used to just wrap a piece around a tooth and with a quick little yank the teeth were out!

Susan Anderson said...

heehee

You are one devoted g'pa!

;)

Dazee Dreamer said...

oh my. My oldest granddaughter has a tooth that she wishes her grandpa would pull out, but he just keeps saying, let it come out naturally.

Unknown said...

Ooooh ooooh! I can do it! I am really good at pulling out teeth...I've been known to go up to neighbor kids asking if they have any loose teeth that need pulling. One quick twist and pull and out they come! It's all in the wrist, you know. Come to think of it, the neighbor kids haven't been by in a very long time.

Anonymous said...

We agree Steve that you should take care of that emergency for that adorable little grand. Hope you had success. Hugs

Pat Tillett said...

Attach one end of string to tooth and the other end to a doorknob. Let physics take care of the rest. That's me and my brothers did it as kids. My kids wouldn't let me even try it once on them...

H said...

I love that you tried all of these different methods to pull out the tooth :D