Monday, July 15, 2013

Blown by the hot breeze...

We continued our little New Mexico trip. 
 
If you missed the story about the geothermal baths, you can just click here.

 
The hot springs was probably not my thing.
 
Perhaps when I come OUT of menopause and return to full pre-menopause health and vigor
 
(choke, choke!)
 
I will return.
 
In the meantime, however.
 
Not.
 
So.
 
Much.
 
Driving to our accommodations for Friday night, we came across a beautiful little town.

 
There were all kinds of ruins and places to explore.   We were puzzled by the sandbags in front of many of the buildings and roads.   "There's been a big fire up the mountain...road's just opened up again...supposed to rain...we're worried about flooding..." was the explanation.
 
"Up the mountain?" I asked Mr. Jenny.  "Isn't that where we're going?"
 
"It'll be interesting," he replied.
 
Hmmmm....
 
I wondered briefly where I had heard that before.
 
We poked around looking at all kinds of neat places...




I wish we would have had more time to look around, but time was speeding by as it seems to when we go off on one of our adventures.
 
"We need to get going," I informed Mr. Jenny firmly.  "It's getting late and it looks like it's going to storm.  No more stops!   Let's just go directly to where we're staying."
 
Mr. Jenny agreed so we left town and headed up the mountain.
 
Okay.
 
To be honest, I may or may not have screeched and made Mr. Jenny stop at a rock shop where I may or may not have bought quite a few rock samples.
 
Blush
 
And we may or may not have stopped again to explore a really, really cool old cemetery...




 
After the cemetery stop, we got determined to get to our destination.
 
We drove through fire damage.
 
Living in the west as we do, we are very aware of the dangers of wild fires.




...but nowhere was the damage more apparent than in the small stream coursing down the hill...


 


...we found this damage particularly heart-breaking.
 
After a few long moments of deliberation, we quietly returned to the truck.  It was spitting rain and the sky was dark.  
 
Definitely time to head to where we were staying...
 
...with one last stop to look at some enormous copper mines where the ecological damage felt heart-breaking at as well.
 
 
While Mr. Jenny snapped pictures I reviewed the information from the Inn we were staying at!
 
"Check in is before 6:00 PM!"  I shouted across the parking lot.
 
He jumped in and we took off.
 
The conservation in the truck cab was sober.
 
We talked about the impact of fire on water...something neither of us had contemplated before.
 
And the loss of the 19 brave firefighters in Yarnell.
 
And discussed all the ecological impact of the massive mines we had seen.
 
And we decided that just because there's bad in the world, doesn't mean we shouldn't stop looking for good.
 
After an hour or so of following wind-y directions, we arrived at the Inn.
 
 
TO BE CONTINUED!
 
post signature 

14 comments:

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

My thoughts have been on fire more than usual this summer - the families of those firefighters are in my prayers.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip...

Janie Junebug said...

You and Mr. Jenny have so many adventures, but the wild fires are sad and scary. Please be careful.

Love,
Janie

Melinda said...

Your going to leave us hanging again?

Looking forward to seeing this Inn
you stayed at.

:o)

Gail said...

I'm so sad I don't know what to say. I know strip mining in horrible but I never really thought about a fire killing a stream.

May they get just enough rain to make things right without flooding.

Brenda said...

I know some of those pictures are very sad but you had some very pretty ones I would love to get to see someday.

Pat Tillett said...

I hate wild fires! You guys are getting some of everything on your trip.

We just heard that there is a fast moving fire in another of our favorite camping areas about 70 miles from here.

So Jenny, you know I have to ask. What is the name of that town with the ruins and where is it? Please!

Great posts from your trip!

Rita said...

So much damage done. I hope there was room for you at the inn. ;)

Pondside said...

Hmmmm - I wonder what's in store at the Inn.....
Fire - it's something we know up here too. There was such sadness for the 19 young firefighters taken so tragically in the line of duty.

Theresa said...

Oh girl, I can't wait for the rest of the story... HUGS to you sweet Jenny! I would like to travel with you, one of us could hang out the window taking pictures while the other one drives:)

noexcuses said...

The Inn looks so inviting...and it's standing! Growing up in CA we were used to "fire season", but it breaks my heart to see it happening all over these days. Thanks for sharing your great pictures along this journey.

Susan Anderson said...

I love rocks AND cemeteries.

Not so much fires...

Saddest thing ever about those firefighters from Arizona.

"/

Anonymous said...

Looks like some lovely and charming spots were found as well as those that gave you pause. Interesting how life offers the bitter and sweet combo so often...

Busy Bee Suz said...

Fire is always so scary....and firemen are true heroes!
I hate seeing all that damage too.
The Inn looks really interesting.....waiting for your next installment.
XO

Amy said...

Beautiful pictures. I don't think I have ever seen anything like that stream before. Wow. Heartbreaking is absolutely the word that comes to mind. Wow.