Monday, July 22, 2013

Fables and fictions and wondering...

I've been keeping a close eye out to see if there might be a Pied Piper in our neighborhood?

Our feral kittens and cats are gone.

All of them.

You might remember when I wrote about the feral cats. 

Yeah.

Well.

They are all gone.

Mr. Jenny and I drove through the neighborhood this past weekend looking.

And not a one is to be seen.

Anywhere.

The cat food and water has been untouched for five days.

The ugly black birds that like to sit on the waterfall at the end of our pool are back.

I saw a spider on the sidewalk yesterday morning.

The cats are all gone.

And I don't think in a good way.

But our neighborhood is so urban that I wonder how they might have been trapped or removed otherwise.

I checked Craigslist.

There are no ads there for Pied Piper services.

Or ads requesting Pied Piper services.

My stomach feels kinda/sorta sick over this.

And, trust me.   Don't google feral cat elimination.

Remember how badly the Pied Piper story ended?

In the year 1284 after the birth of Christ
From Hameln were led away
One hundred thirty children, born at this place
Led away by a piper into a mountain. 


Yeah.

I need to cancel our appointment with the TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) people.

And I need to hope that wherever these poor cats went, they didn't have to suffer getting there.

post signature

15 comments:

Ames said...

Me too Jenny. Makes me sick to think of anything horrible happening to them.~Ames

Jeanie said...

Hmm? A mystery for sure. Maybe they got news of your plan from some little kitty blog and packed up and moved to a new neighborhood...at least I hope that is what happened.

Unknown said...

I hope they found good homes.

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

We'll hope for the best then!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Oh Jenny that worries me also. You just don't know and it's hard isn't it. You tried to do the right thing and hopefully they are in a better place.

Linda

Amy said...

This year is the first we haven't had full litters of kittens abandoned in our VERY rural location. People assume because it's in the country, they'll just figure life out for themselves. Unfortunately, some of our dogs aren't friendly with kitties... and I've taken more than one litter to the shelter - only to be met with glares as though they are really my kittens and I'm trying to get one over on them.

I wish we had a TNR program. I hope your neighborhood's feral kitties were picked up early by the TNR people and are in recovery.

Janie Junebug said...

I pray they haven't suffered and have found a safe place to hide out.

Love,
Janie

Viki said...

A couple of years ago, we had some feral kittens that hung around our street. A lady came and picked them up. She took them to the vet and got them neutered/spayed then took them to a no kill shelter. Hopefully, that's what happened to your cats.

pasqueflower said...

So sad :-(.

Susan Anderson said...

I wonder what happened to them. And then again, I don't really like to let my imagination go there...

"/

Busy Bee Suz said...

I agree....I hope they are living in a better place though. Lets think positive, right? There were a lot of them around....perhaps they are like gypsies and they've moved onto another hood with better food. I'm not dissing your food though.
XOXO

Rita said...

All you can do is think positive. You'll probably never know.

Annesphamily said...

So many bad people in the world! My friend Lorna is still housing her brood of ferals and than they will get spayed and neutered and enjoy a little better quality life. She had earned moms trust and that was important to her. One night though she went to check on the "kids" and there was a mama racoon and her five babies chowing down ont he cat food and water! Fortunately they left when she opened the garage. The cats were watching safely from their cages!Those cats have a sweet setup as Lorna runs a couple huge fans to keep them cool while she is at work! She is a true animal saint! Last night the local news talked about a dog a man from a humane animal rescue bought for $40 on craigslist. The dog was stolen from a yard and starved nearly to death! They got him just in time and found he was chipped so his family is sooooo grateful to have him back! I would never ever buy an animal on craigslist. It is better to deal with a reputable breeder. SO sad! Sorry you lost your family of ferals! :-(

Amy said...

Poor kitties! I hope they are found soon!

Pat Tillett said...

I'm hoping there was another group TNR group out there that beat you to it. Maybe, maybe not, but that is what I hope happened.