Friday, July 19, 2013

...cuz only 'was' can break your heart...

This little work of fiction is linked to week 169 of Saturday Centus.  Dang.  I could have definitely used another 100 words here.  My delete and backspace keys got tired on editing this to a mere 100 words.

To read other offerings using the same picture link, just click here.

Ahem.

The little shop had been slow and I noticed the tearful lady standing outside the display window for the tenth time in as many days.
Going quickly to the door I asked if I could help her.
 As she turned away I gently asked, “Why do you keep coming back?”    
 Her lip trembled.
 “That sign,” she said pointing.  “It was my daughter’s favorite poem.”
 “Was…”  I said.  “Was?
 She turned away.
 “Wait!” I shouted.  I ran inside, grabbed it, and held it out.   “Please take this…”
She hesitated and then she did.
Sad.
 ‘Was’ can be a terribly powerful word.
post signature

6 comments:

Bookie said...

Wow, this was nice. Obviously, I could not think of a thing with the prompt, but you did wonders!

21 Wits said...

Oh this is one very sad "was" without a doubt.

Amy said...

:( what a sad but beautifully written story.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Wow; powerful and moving in a few words.
XO

Susan Anderson said...

Love this.

Love.

=)

Pat Tillett said...

Nice one Jenny! Bittersweet for sure...