Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I was feeling peculiar...

...perhaps it was surviving the geothermal mineral baths...
 
Perhaps it was just my crazy imagination...
 
Whatever the reason...
 
I'm pretty sure.
 
Or at least kinda/sorta sure...
 
...there were ghosts at the lodge we stayed at on Friday night.
 
...
 
I didn't feel the ghosts when we were driving to the lodge and stopping to peer in windows of old buildings.

 
I didn't feel the ghosts when we saw deer and antelope (at play) on our route...
 
 
or when we were driving up the miles long driveway...


...or when we checked into our lovely room...
 
...or when we explored the grounds and found these ruins...



...but when I was laying in bed and reading the literature on the property I began to feel some ghostly ... ummm... ghosts.
 
The lodge was converted in 1928 to a home for seven unruly "mentally peculiar" children.
 
Hey. 
 
Don't get irritated at me for the possibly politically incorrect language.
 
That's what the literature said.
 
Click here to see for yourself.
 
And although the lodge was later converted to fancier things and eventually donated to the Nature Conservancy...
 
Still.
 
I'm certain there was a ghost or two around the night we slept there.
 
And even though we had an amazing breakfast with a beautiful view...
 
I was happy to skedaddle out of there on Saturday.
 
I wasn't homesick or anything.
 
It was really, truly the ghosts making me want to go home.
 
"Go home...go home..." they whispered to me.
 
So.
 
We did.
 
THE END.
post signature 

18 comments:

Terra said...

I am glad the ghosts let you go home, better to hear the whisper "go home" than them saying "you need to stay."

Anita said...

I'm glad you have a guardian angel protecting you, Jenny, because you seem to manage to attract all sorts of strange happenings. :)

Anonymous said...

I worked at a juvenile facility in an old psychiatric hospital from the late 1800s. Talk about some crazy things that happened!

Janie Junebug said...

If I ever decide to change my blogging name, I think I'll call myself Mentally Peculiar. I'm glad the ghosts encouraged you to go where your heart is.

Love,
Janie

Gail said...

An amazing adventure...when is the next one?

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

I love places like that, full of history and "ghosts"! We are never really alone are we!

Theresa said...

I tell you that if the ghosts tell me to go home... I would go too:) You and Mr. Jenny have the most fun adventures! HUGS to you sweet Jenny!

Sue said...

I think I am glad that we don't take trips with you. First the caboose and now ghosts? We have reservations in September at a very old place with lots of history...now I may be hearing things go bump in the night!

Melinda said...

Another interesting adventure in the books for you two.

Where is the next one?

:o)

Leovi said...

Beautiful photos! I like the beauty of these animals!

Rita said...

I can see why the ghosts of the mentally peculiar children would return there. That was probably a very happy place for them where they were accepted. Us mentally peculiar really appreciate that. ;)

pasqueflower said...

Yikes!! That's pretty spooky! What an adventure!

Susan Anderson said...

haha

I think you may be just a little peculiar yourself, Jenny.

;)

Anonymous said...

Did you check everything when you got home to make sure they didn't catch a ride with you?

Pondside said...

I'd have listened to those ghosts too. After all - I've seen the movie!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Isn't it weird the types of words people used back in the day??? Well, the history on this place is deep and interesting...so surely the ghosts are too!

Amy said...

That is a beautiful place! I think I would let my imagination run away with me, too, in thinking about those peculiar children. *shudder*

Pat Tillett said...

They must have been nice ghosts. Otherwise, you'd still be there haunting the next group that checked it. Something like "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave."