Wednesday, February 3, 2010

C is for Celebration(PKW)

If you are new to my blog PKW is Possible Kleenex Warning, just in case you're at work or something reading this!

So...

We have these amazing friends in Ohio. Their names are Jerry and Joanne. And I suppose I could have waited until "J" to tell this story but I want to tell you now, especially because we've just finished the Surprise Wedding saga.

These people are absolutely wonderful.

Hey wait a second, will you? My husband is just walking down the hall.

OK, I'm back. I just asked him to describe Jerry and Joanne because I know I am extremely biased and here's what he said, "warm, intelligent, funny, compassionate, friendly, just delightful, delightful people."

Joanne will tell you every silly thing she's every done...she is an open book to her loved ones and we all absolutely adore her and her hugs and kisses and very open affection.

Jerry is quieter and more reserved about personal things. He will talk to you about deep and esoteric subjects like astrophysics or why the allegorical meaning of Shakespeares sonnets should be... (well, OK, I don't know exactly what he says but he does say stuff exactly like this and you have to sit there trying to nod and look intelligent all the while thinking "why oh why didn't I pay attention in school in classes other than Chasing Boys 101?") But he doesn't talk about emotions or share his feelings.

Thinking about this right now, I don't think I have ever seen him hug or kiss or say "I love you" to his wonderful wife in public.

You can clearly see the affection between them, but she shows it often and with great abandon, and he does not.

But anyway.

Jerry has had cancer several times and has had a tough recovery...but he is a fighter. And a scholar. And a kind and wonderful man.

Before Christmas Jerry had a heart attack. He was on a ladder and fell to the floor. The ambulance could barely get up their snow-filled driveway to transport him to the hospital.

He survived. And is in the process of trying to recover.

January 18th is Jerry and Joanne's Anniversary.

Something they usually celebrate quietly and with no public displays of affection other then a loving glance toward one another.

This year was their 46th Anniversary.

Our lovely friend Joanne went to the read the morning paper that Monday morning and almost choked when she turn the page and found this... ...occupying an entire half-page in their local newspaper.

She was astonished.

She cried.

She laughed.

When she told me, I was astonished.

I cried.

I laughed.

And then I cried some more when she told me he explained it by saying, "I figured I better do this now...and not try and wait for our 50th."

What a Celebration of love.

The truest Celebration by putting aside his own feelings of humble privacy to shout from the very rooftops "I LOVE THIS WOMAN!"

And I am Celebrating again today how very fortunate I am to know them.

post signature



32 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

What a very sweet story and about very sweet friends! We should all remember to tell the one's we love now that they are important!

Viki said...

Good for Jerry. He really stepped out of his comfort zone to show his wife how much he loves her. How lucky they both are.

GardenOfDaisies said...

That is so sweet! And so sad at the same time... he isn't sure he is going to make it to that 50th Anniversary. Now I am crying.

Maggie said...

Such a lovely story, guess he's a keeper then?
~Maggie~

jaydubblah said...

I have put them on my prayer list

mub said...

Nothing POSSIBLE about the kleenex warning on this one, you need to title it KW!

I love that he was able to step out of his comfort zone a little bit and share that part of himself with others. I think it's awesome and really brave.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Matlock, that was an appropriately placed "Kleenex Alert". Thank you.

This was so very touching. I could feel the floodgates open when she first saw it.

BTW, I like Steve already. Any man who describes friends so precisely is okay by me.

Kat said...

What a sweet, wonderful story (thanks for the kleenex warning). I can imagine her astonishment when she saw that, what a dear, dear man. Thanks for sharing this story Jenny, it's a winner. Kathy

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing!

Busy Bee Suz said...

thank goodness I had my tissues out already!!!
What a wonderful couple...and there is NO time like the PRESENT to declare your love...in front of the entire world.
I hope he is doing well.
Suz

Unknown said...

That's so sweet!

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

That is very romantic. And a good reminder, sometimes real love isn't flashy, but it's just always there.

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

What a wonderful story of love! He finally shows it to the world..

Brenda said...

Man, that was good... gotta love a good Romantic post in the AM. And how the heck do you stay married 46 years? LOL! Well my parents have been married for 48 years but that's just because my Dad is nuts and my Mom needs someone to clean up after, LOL!

Betty said...

What a great story! Best wishes to Jerry on his recovery.

Carol said...

Sending happy thoughts to Jerry! What a great story! I hope Dwen & I can make it to 46 years! Wow!

lissa said...

sweet man, that Jerry, very sweet

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Glad I had my kleenix available. How very very sweet... I hope and pray that Jerry does live so that they can celebrate their 50th--and many more anniversaries.

Thanks for sharing. They are in my prayers.
Hugs,
Betsy

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

What a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet story!!!

Unknown said...

Too cool for words that Jerry. : )

Sarah said...

I write this with Kleenex in hand. Such a heartwarming story! Thanks for sharing this story of love!

laterg8r said...

what a wonderful story :D

Sue said...

This is so sweet...and a bit sad as it seems he isn't sure he will see the 50th. You are lucky to have such wonderful friends.

Sue

Jackie said...

Thanks for sharing this story. My boyfriend once talked about plastering me on a billboard lol for everyone to see that he loves me :) ..... men... *shakes head* but that was a very nice way of Jerry to show his love ....finally eh? .......men

Amy said...

Jenny - you've got me tearing up at work again! I didn't get to meet Jerry, but the brief time I was around Joanne I could tell she was an awesome soul.

Brenda said...

Well I am not crying but close. Wonderful story about your sweet friends. I always wonder how two people can be so different and be able to do just the right thing at the right time. I could not even list the differences in my hubs and myself. It would be a very long list.

Jo said...

i am not Crying ... my eyes just leak a little ... sometimes ... when my heart is being tugged at ... pass the kleenex!

Terri Steffes said...

Now that you shared their story with us, we are blessed, too. Thank you!

Lynda said...

Precious, precious, precious! That's the thing about getting older. We begin to finally realize how much people mean to us and we need to cherish every minute we have with them.

gayle said...

That is such a wonderful thing!!!

Unknown said...

good for him!

easternsparkle said...

It's never too late to say those words - what a great tale to tell!