Saturday, September 25, 2010

Saturday Centus - Happy Birthday to Tom!

He never dreamed when he blew out the candles on his cake that total humiliation would be close behind.

Tom had been gloating for decades to his Centusian Club friends that not only did he still have all brain cells firing with the high-wit settings of his younger years, but that he was still in posession of his own teeth and hair.

Imagine his dismay when words failed him moments after his dentures, accompanied by his toppled toupe, splatted into the birthday cake frosting like a tacky picture from a gag gift catalog.

Whatever the reason for the subsequent melt-down, club members turned away in uncomfortable silence as Tom regained his composure.

**********************************************************************************
Jenny Matlock

This 100 word story is linked to week 21 of Saturday Centus. The prompt words are in bold.

And, yea...Happy Birthday Tom! You know we all love you!

To see other offerings from this SC, just click here.


post signature

21 comments:

Cheryl said...

Nice tribute to our BOY Tom.

Happy Happy Joy Joy, Tom. We do love you.

Jackie said...

embarrassed is how I felt . Shame on Tom lol anyway....

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Hope he got some Polident as a gift this year!

Kat said...

Do you honestly think we'd turn away in uncomfortable silence? I think the level of hilarity might cause the police to show up at "Centusian Heights Retirement Home"! I loved this, you can always make me smile. Kat

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

This is hilarious, Jenny. I love it! I think we're all having fun with this, given Tom's great sense of humor.
xoRobyn

Ames said...

I am having so much fun with this Jenny.

Happy Birthday Tom!~Ames

Susan Anderson said...

heehee

Happy Birthday, Tom.

=D

Tgoette said...

What a hilarious story, Jenny! It touched me right down to my sciatica and liver spots! I love what you did this week! So cool! Thanks for shining the light on me again. I love you and my Centusian brethren too! Thank you!

Susannah said...

Jenny, I love it! lol

... and you were right we were definitely thinking along the same lines with this one.

Susannah :-)

- http://panopticulated.blogspot.com/2010/09/birthday-saturday-centus-week-21.html

noexcuses said...

Great story! I think we all need a dose of humility every now and then...just to keep us honest!

Unknown said...

Excellent Jenny & I'm sure Tom won't mind us having a chuckle at his expense!

Viki said...

Too funny. I wish I was this clever. Good job and great tribute to dear old Tom lol.

Judie said...

I hope someone had a camera handy! Thanks for helping me figure this thing out. I had FUN!

jeff campbell said...

It's not nice to fool with mother nature ;-( Perhaps one day you might experience that of which you write...or has that day already arrived ;-) Just kidding...Once again a clever and funny post...Peace and blessings of your own teeth and hair...

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Belated Happy Birthday, Tom!

Tina said...

oh i loved that funny clever story. looks like tom did too bless him!

ReformingGeek said...

Ah, poor Tom! Dentures? He should have listened to his mother and not eaten all those sweets!

Fun story, Jenny, and thanks for stopping by to read mine.

FYI: I no longer show my email on my Blogger profile.

Amy said...

Ha! Poetic Justice at its finest! I am seriously thinking about joining these writing prompts as I am in serious need of a writing boost. Hmmm. May have to give it a little more time, though, as I barely have time to do regular blogging as it is.

Jenners said...

Love it! Hee hee hee ... Tom will never advocate for a personalized prompt again!

Terra said...

oh poor Tom. Jenny this was brilliantly funny especially since we could picture our Tom the whole time!!!

cj Schlottman said...

This Centusian, for one, would never turn away. This old nurse would wipe his sweet face and use some of the icing to glue his hair back on and stick his teeth back in his mouth. Dear boy, dear sweet Birthday Boy.

Jenny, this is wonderful! Thanks for a great laugh, even if at the expense of an elderly passer of gas.

You rock..........cj