Monday, February 27, 2012

A dramatic tale of extreme chicken-ness

"Just show me where it hurts the most, okay?" the organ surgeon said, and then pressed some kind of dental instrument into my mouth which resulted in me screaming and kicking Mr. Jenny.

Yeah.

I'm dramatic like that.

Having shattered a molar on Thursday night, I spent much of the night a) freaking out about having to get it pulled and b) freaking out about missing job training for my new job and c) freaking out because it hurt so freakin' much.

Mr. Jenny, God Bless his soul, begged and pleaded an appointment for me early Friday afternoon at the only oral surgeon I've ever gone to that hasn't given me dry socket or strapped my down to a chair while sitting on my chest chiselling out the broken tooth for an hour or two.

I tried to wiggle out of going on the grounds that I couldn't leave work early.

Yeah. That didn't work out.

My job trainer was super supportive and told me he'd help me catch up on Monday and all my virtual classmates were kind in their best wishes at the dentist.

So there I sat in the exam room. The surgeon, apparently unable to believe his expensive x-rays, insisted that I point to the tooth that had broken.


"Yes, it's shattered, all right," he agreed after peeling me off the ceiling. "This tooth is not salvageable. We need to pull it."

I wanted to be sarcastic but I refrained, having learnt from past experience it is never a good idea to tick someone off who has you confined in a chair and has all kinds of point-y and hurt-y objects at his fingertips.

I took a deep breath.

And then burst into tears.

Because, yeah...

I'm dramatic like that.

And I hate having my teeth pulled.

And I'm not especially fond of getting knocked out.

So I walked down the hall like I was heading to the death chamber.

Dragging my feet like a rebellious five year old, Mr. Jenny practically had to yank into the surgical suite.

Sure, they gave me strawberry scented laughing gas to take the edge off.

Sure, they covered me with a fuzzy brown blanket because I was all shivery.

Sure, they told me I would be asleep for the whole thing.

Sure, the said when I woke up that my tooth wouldn't be hurting anymore.

But still.

I didn't want to do it.

I cried.

I pleaded.

I promised God I would be a better person.

I begged the dentist not to hurt me.

I struggled to keep my eyes open to avoid the abyss of possible death by dental extraction.

But I succumbed to the anesthesia in the IV.

...

...

And you know what?

Darned if they weren't right.

My tooth wasn't hurting anymore when I woke up.

...

...

But since I practically died...

And I was weak from the surgery and all.

...Mr. Jenny pretty much waited on me hand and foot all weekend fetching mashed potatoes from KFC and milkshakes from Sonic.


Which I needed.

I mean...

...being weak and all from the trauma and the major surgery.

...

...

Okay.

Sigh.

I admit it.

I'm just a teensy bit dramatic once in a while.

...

But even chickens don't like having their teeth pulled.


So there.

post signature

34 comments:

LuLu Kellogg said...

I feel your pain girlie! After having $8,000.00 worth of dental work done in the last year I have had enough needles and goofy gas to last me forever....AND...not to mention me telling the doctor in my drug induced state that I needed to fix a wedgie! Yea, the dental assistant told me I said that.I also told her to hurry up because I was there to have a baby. LOL!

Hope you are doing much better!

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

vivian said...

lol! you sound just like me at the dentist office! one time I had a dentist ask me if I wanted him to stop for a minute so I could pray!!! and I said... "ive been praying!!! just hurry up!" lol!
I hope youre recovering nicely!
lol
vivian

Theresa said...

Oh you poor chicken... errr I mean Jenny:) I am happy that you got the pain out, even though you had to go thru so much! Have a blessed and pain free, catch up on training kinda day, HUGS!

Frog Hollow Farm Girl said...

Oh gosh, Jenny - do I identify with this post! My poor dentist actually had a glass of red wine for me during a consultation about some work that neede to be done - it was so funny! Hope you are feeling better every day! And mashed potatoes make everything better! Ciao, Bella! xxoo

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Oh my goodness glory girl, been there done that....hate it!!!

I'm so glad the class thing worked out for you and you got the tooth fixed. Bless your heart!!

I've said many a time I'd rather give birth than go to the dentist! Heeehehehe...neat trick a my age huh?

Love that freaky chicken!!!

God bless ya and have a wonderful day of splendid pamperin'!!!

Unknown said...

I so hope you are feeling better.

Unknown said...

I so hope you are feeling better.

Ames said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. You are feeling better right?

Gee I've never been to an organ surgeon before. That must be a special surgeon? :D

That was very sweet of poor Mr. Jenny, with his broken foot, to wait on you and and foot. He's a keeper.

Well now, toothach fixed, foot, Pod, kitchen and OTJ training to go. See! God doesn't give you more than you can handle because you are an awesome lady.

Get some rest! LYMI~Ames

Pondside said...

I'm so glad that the broken tooth is gone along with the pain! Poor you - big sympathy from here, and a star to pin on the chest of Mr Jenny for taking such good care of you.
Let's just be glad it wasn't a front tooth - now that would bring on another sort of visit to the dentist!

Sarah ~ Magnolias Attic said...

Well, that was just hysterical to read! That laughing gas was good for you! Glad it's over and that you had milkshakes -- love the toothy chicken!

Jo said...

We don't have organ surgeons up here ... dontcha just hate auto correct sometimes?!
Jenny, at least you had gas, i have never had gas for an extraction but i sure wish i could ... i just had some dental work on the front teeth and i can relate ... needles in stuff and just too darn scary!!!

21 Wits said...

It's okay, being dramtic is what we women do best, or so the men in our lives say! I knew your new job would understand....but when you're at your lowest you just know it's bound to get worst! Just keep smiling like they say this too will pass....I know you'll be on top of the world quick...we all have those ups and downs...mine will be beginning tomorrow with three rock hard days of coal mining...well not really but work will feel like that....so gotta enjoy today right! Take care Jenny...!

Susan Anderson said...

That chicken is a crack-up!

And I'm glad you are well and truly out of your misery. And that Mr. Jenny was so good to you all weekend.

=)

Pat said...

Strawberry scented laughing gas??!!! Where I have been...and why do we always promise God to be good under these kind of circumstances?? Just too hilarious an accounting of what for all of us is a visit wished to be avoided.

Also interesting that Mr. Jenny waited on you hand and foot...how is his other foot doing too...you are both quite the pair!

Have a good and uncomplicated week.

KM said...

Oh I am cringing in my chair for you!!! SO glad it is over!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Jenny I'm dramatic and chicken like that too!! So glad it's over and you are doing better. Good job Mr Jenny for mashed potatoes and milkshakes!
hugs, Linda

Unknown said...

I definitely feel your fear of dentists. Not the pain cause I haven't had that type of scenario but fear, yes I too fear going to the dentist for anything! The cleanings make my teeth ache for days & not becuase they were so dirty they needed to be chisled, just cause they are so sensitive they feel like they were chisled... BLAH, they are masachists I tell ya! Glad you made it through and can now be pain free once again.... well in that specific tooth's spot anyways;-)

Skoots1moM said...

those 'sleeps' are the best 'sleeps' and followed by great naps...hope you got some naps in between the milkshake and mashed potatoes ;)

Ms. A said...

I'm the same way! Hate, hate, HATE having dental work. Had 3 of my kids natural and wasn't nearly as chicken as when having dental work done. Bless your heart!

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

You really paint a vivid picture of the whole experience! Glad Mr. Jenny brought you mashed potatoes and milkshakes...they sound like the perfect medicines. Anesthesia can take a lot out of you, so keep on taking good care of yourself, and feel better soon.

Busy Bee Suz said...

That is the scariest chicken ever!
I am so glad that you survived...and you aren't in anymore pain. I really glad Mr. Jenny got you the necessary recovery food: mashed 'taters and milkshakes!!
xoxo

anitamombanita said...

Yay for strawberry scented laughing gas! Glad it's all better!

Ms Sparrow said...

I'm so glad you survived! As for being dramatic, I wish I had your courage (I was gonna say hutzpah but I don't know how to spell it).

Maude Lynn said...

When it comes to dental work, I'm a teensy bit dramatic, too!

Melinda said...

Glad to hear that everything is under control now.
You were very brave--bless you!

Melinda

H said...

I had a molar removed the week before Christmas. I had injections though. I HATE injections :(

bj said...

ahhhaaaa, you do have the cutest sense of humor, dear one.
Bless your heart, I can so relate to your chickeness...the very instant I sit down in a dental chair, my back goes into spasms and I couldn't walk if I had to.
I HAVE to go in for some repairs on my olden teeth and, if you can do it, I can do it...and besides all that, there's a KFC about 8 blocks from our house in one direction and a Sonic 5 blocks in the other direction. :))

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Is extreme chicken-ness remotely related to your pea-ness? Kinda, sorta, maybe?

Pardon me while I laugh myself silly.....

Terra said...

Oh How I totally understand how you feel/felt...Really...I am a horrible baby when it comes to the dentist...the poor guy is so kind so patient and I well...Give em hell...I am glad the worst of this is over for you!

Judie said...

Mr. Jenny is such an old softy! Rod would be the same way, though, if I had to be put to sleep for an extraction. He loves mashed potatoes and milkshakes, but not at the same time, though.

Willoughby said...

Ouch! So glad it all went well and you're feeling better. I think the anticipation is always so much worse than the actual pain.

I have tons of dental work in my near future. Just thinking about it makes me more than a little queasy!

Nonna said...

LOL Jenny...glad everything turned out o.k.

Whenever I have to go to the dentist, I think of the teeth drilling scene ( torture to make Dustin talk ) in Marathon Man, a 1976 suspense/thriller film... stars Dustin Hoffman, Laurence Olivier, Roy Scheider, William Devane and Marthe Keller.

Now that's terrifying !!!

Unknown said...

you were walking that green line....did they put a diaper on you just in case? I am terrified of anything dentist and I would be wearing a big girl diaper so I feel it is ok to ask you this.....

J said...

Dental work makes me cringe. I actually haven't been to the dentist in quite a few years and now I have a cavity. I'm pretty sure when I get there, they'll have a mouthful to deal with.

This is the first tooth to bother me in years, but you never know what's back there.... :{