Friday, October 19, 2012

Run, run...as fast as you can!

Was I leaving a trail?
 
Would the scarlet spatters show against the confetti of colors on the ground?
 
When I stopped, just for a second, the rough brown texture of tree bark felt like a scream against my cheek.
 
I leaned and exhaled.
 
And tried to inhale.
 
A whimper escaped my lips.
 
Just a tiny sound.
 
“Careful. Careful!” I warned myself softly.
 
He was closer now. Too close.
 
I could hear his sing-song voice surround me like a taunt filled fog.
 
“Ollie-Ollie-oxen-free! Try to get home…just try,” he chanted.
 
I sobbed in terror against my blood-crusted fist.
 
Then I ran.
 
The leaves crunched under my boots…
 
…until they didn’t.
 
This macabre little story is linked to week 129 of Saturday Centus. To read other offerings using the same prompt (in bold) just click here.

post signature

8 comments:

Ms. A said...

Not your average game of hide and seek. Perfect for the month of Halloween.

Keetha Broyles said...

Goof night, Jenny Marie. I don't want to play Hide and Seek with you!!! Or with "him" either, whoever "he" is.

H said...

Macabre indeed! The stuff nightmares are made of. I suggest that your potential victim learns karate!

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

This is great! Thank you for stopping by and your thoughtful comment.

lissa said...

you work the prompt into this little tale so well, it's perfect usage

have a great day.

Susan Anderson said...

Yikes.

!!!

;)

Anonymous said...

Talk about spooky--made my blood freeze--yes, freeze.

Yet, I also experienced a thrill of the unexpected. Love it.

anitamombanita said...

frighteningly well done!!