Monday, August 27, 2012

Divinely Contradictory

I live in Arizona.
 
You might know this.
 
You might know this because I have been known to whine about the heat.
 
Once or twice.
 
Okay.
 
Possibly forty-three thousand and twelve times.
 
But...
 
Seriously.
 
One of the great curses of living in Arizona is that everything is hot.
 
Steering wheels.
 
Driveaways.
 
Patio furniture.
 
Car seats.
 
Blah.
 
Blah.
 
Blah.
 
We touch things and we flinch and/or curse and/or yelp.
 
Or some combination of all three.
 
On Saturday I went to get a pedicure with my oldest daughter.
 
I've had a lot of pedicures before, but this was a fancy place.
 
Fan.
 
Cee.
 
After the usual toe stuff they do, the pedicurist-person (what the heck do you call people that do this anyway?) brought two hot towels and put them on my shins and feet.
 
Wow.
 
Wow.
 
My regular pedicurist-person never does this.
 
It was amazing.
 
It was fabulous.
 
But then.
 
THEN!
 
The pedicurist-person brought back two  river rocks.
 
She had them in a little basket.
 
She rubbed some oil on my legs and took out one of the hot rocks and started rubbing it up and down my lower leg.
 
Oh.
 
My.
 
Wow.
 
Purr.  
 
After she did that for a little while she tucked it under the arch of my foot and repeated the process with the other hot rock.
 
Oh.
 
My.
 
Wow.
 
Purr.

 
It felt nothing like walking on the hot driveway in flip flips.
 
Nothing like it at all.
 
And here's the thing.
 
Arizona is FULL of dry riverbeds.
 
And a lot of the dry riverbeds are covered in river stones.
 
 
 
And the sun is really, really hot here.
 
I wonder how it would feel to go lay down in one of those riverbeds?
 
If the scorpions and rattlers didn't get you...
 
...and you didn't die of heat stroke...
 
...I bet it might feel pretty good.
 
Hot river rocks.
 
Who knew?
 
P.S.   They heated up the stones in a crock pot even though it was a Fan. Cee. spa place.  I have rocks.  I have a crock pot.   Hmmmm...
 
post signature

25 comments:

Jojo said...

It makes you wonder how all that works. All I know is that hot rocks, rocks!

Unknown said...

It sounds wonderful!

vivian said...

now you just have to get mr jenny to nassage your feet with them!
lol
xoxo

ain't for city gals said...

I would love to have a whole body hot stone massage! I have had the warm towels but never the rocks. My old dog will go and lay in the middle of the driveway in the super heat for about 10 minutes then come trotting back in the house trying to get cool again....she is so funny...it must feel good on her old bones. It's going to cool down on of these weeks...

Theresa said...

I feel better already:) I have never had a pedicure but I REALLY want one now! Have a blessed week dear friend, HUGS!

NatureGirl said...

My kids like me to put hot rocks on their backs when they done swimming...It warms them up!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I have never had those hot River Rocks but it sounds divine!! hugs, Linda

Pondside said...

That sounds luxurious - decadent - very very fancy! Have you ever tried reflexology? I haven't, but I'm thinking about it.

BECKY said...

Wow, how wonderful! And look at all those gorgeous stones, just "out there" waiting to be picked up, brought home, and maybe displayed in a beautiful glass bowl of some kind!
This is funny, Jenny, because I just posted about feet/toes late last night, actually early Monday morning, but mine is about ugly toes!! :)

Susan Anderson said...

Sounds like heaven to me!

=)

PS. We used to live near Palm Springs in the desert (from ages 6-12), and my mom lives there now. So I know what you mean about steering wheels, etc. ugh

Tina said...

I haven't had a hot stone pedicure, but a hot stone massage is a magical thing. I'll prescribe it for you. I'm not a doctor, but I've seen enough of them in the last month that I feel like I have this authority. You're welcome.
Tina @ Life is Good

Judie said...

Waaaaaaaa! I want that for MY feet! I also want it for my poor hands that are aching from unwrapping all the strange things that I never knew I owned.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Makes me feel all relaxed just thinking about it...

Ms. A said...

You got stoned... in a good way!

Just Mags said...

That sounded so nice to get a great pedicure. Hope you will let us know if your rocks and crock-pot work as well as theirs did. Hugs

21 Wits said...

Sounds like a perfect place. It's funny I was reading and reading and thinking you'd have a mention of the pencil winner too, although it was becoming increasingly apparent that you weren't going to announce it here, so I'll continue on my blog roll!

Tami Von Zalez said...

Yeah, that is why I moved the he(doubletoothpicks) out of Arizona years ago!

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

carol l mckenna said...

So wonderful when 'we treat ourselves' ~ the rocks are so colorful too ~ Carol (A Creative Harbor)

lovely to have you come by ^_^

Ames said...

I'll be right over! You can experiment on me.

We have to pay extra for that stuff here. It must have been a really fan cee place at that!~Ames

pasqueflower said...

The pedicure with hot rocks sounded wonderful and relaxing. Ahhh! Let us know if the DIY river rocks work out.

Anonymous said...

It's nice to find something nice & relaxing, isn't it? Enoy...

H said...

That sounds so good!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I think you are on to something here! I can see it now...all the neighborhood ladies lined up at your door waiting for the 'special' hot rocks!
XOXO

SarahBeth said...

Oh yeah. Fabulous! I have a crock pot.... and rocks ....

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

What is that old story about stone soup ? :)