Friday, August 10, 2012

Genetics. Aren't they weird?

It's strange what traits we pick up from our parents.

Eye color.

Hair color.

How tall or short we are.

And, sometimes, it's a totally obscure trait that goes unnoticed for years.

Like winking.

Winking.

You know?

Closing one eye jauntily?

A few days ago, my 82 year old Dad ended up at the emergency room with a possible heart attack.

Mr. Jenny and I jumped quickly in the car to go to his side.

When we got to the ER he was talking up a storm with his doctor. He was in fine spirits.

My Dad. Not the doctor.

My Dad kind of has this irrepressible spirit.

 He can talk to anyone.

 He is often smiling or being a smartass (ummmm...sorry about that profanity...I was just too lazy to look up how to spell 'alec' correctly. As in 'smart alec'.)

The ER was no exception.

I sat down on a chair beside my Mom and watched my Dad's face.

He was definitely acting like he wasn't scared.

He was definitely acting like it was just another regular day.

But his hands were shaking and his eyes occassionally filled with tears.

It made me afraid.

Until he turned his head and winked at me.



I'm not sure why, but that wink made me feel better.

Knowing that my Dad was continuing to live his life the way he wanted...quality and not quantity.  Although 82 is definitely quantity in my opinion.

He was being irrepressible (and kind of loud and obnoxious - ha!) in spite of fear.

I admire that about my Dad.  I admire that he winked at me even though he was obviously worried about himself.  

The ER doctor felt that my Dad was safe for the moment and released him.

Driving  home from the hospital, Mr. Jenny told me, "You know, you are just like your Dad!"

Wow. I was flattered.

Obviously Mr. Jenny admired my irrepressibleness (yes, huh, that is a word!)... And my determination... And my ability to laugh at lifes obstacles.

"Wow," I said in a humble voice, "That makes me feel good that you think that I'm like my Dad."

Mr. Jenny looked surprised. "It makes you feel good that you can't wink with your mouth closed?"

Huh?

Huh?

Winking?

Mouth closed?

How did we go from me being a hero in my own life to winking with my mouth open?

So I questioned Mr. Jenny. "Huh? What do you mean? I thought you meant I was all determined and brave like my Dad."

Mr. Jenny looked surprised again.    He stuttered a bit in reply. "Well...ummm...yeah...I think you're like your Dad like that but... ummm...what I was talking about was the fact that neither of you can wink with your mouth closed."



"What the heck are you talking about?" I asked in a non-irrepressible and slightly annoyed voice.

"You know?   When your Dad winked? He can't wink with his mouth closed.   And neither can you!   You're just like him."

"I can SO wink with my mouth closed!"

And I tried.

And I tried.

And I tried.

And, by golly, guess what?

I CAN'T wink with my mouth closed.

Mr. Jenny is obviously irritatingly observant about such things.

Let's just see if I ever wink at him AGAIN!

Who knew my Dad gave me more than my brown eyes and inability to be quiet for more than twelve seconds?

Obviously, not me!

Sigh...

post signature

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear your dad is still doing well. It certainly is scary though. I love genetics! Of course, I usually observe those traits being passed down from one generation of goats to the next. ;-)

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

My Dad is 82 also. Not sure if he can wink with his mouth closed. I'll have to check that out!

Glad he's ok for now, I think your brave and irrepressible and unflappable!

xxoo,

RMW

Ms. A said...

Glad to hear he is doing okay and that you got some irrepressible genes. Genetics can be tricky... I'm just glad I don't have a tail!

Ms Sparrow said...

I love your story. My best to your dad. The fact that he winked at you makes me think he's one heck of nice guy!

Unknown said...

Oh Jenny.....
Scary and so sweet at the same time....I found out where my laugh came from when I went back home in 2006 and spent three weeks with my Dad's sister Rosemary, I should have been her child! We are SO much alike....and we both cackle like witch's!!!!!! And we both are good cooks and hate to cook....it felt so good after all of these years to find out where I came from.....hope your Dad is doing well....Sandy

Unknown said...

Let me clarify, we cackle like witches when we laugh! LOL

ain't for city gals said...

DNA is a wonderful thing..mostly. I am finding I am more and more like my dad since his passing and it makes me feel really really good!...xo

anitamombanita said...

hilarious..wink wink... oh, well, just the winking part is hilarious. I hope your dad is OK and lives to wink for many years to come!!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

So good to hear that your dad is doing well! And I love your sense of humor and story-telling!!!

Funny thing about those genes...my hubby likes to say that our kids got their good-look genes and smart genes from me (I think he is a sweetheart to say that) and that he supplied their Levi jeans...and their common sense genes! ...I would have to add that he also gave them his musical genes and safety genes!

And one last thing...as the years together pass, I see that my hubby has acquired a lot of my dad's genes!

Blessings & Aloha!

Susan Mystery said...

That conversation you had with your other half, really made me laugh out loud. Love how he brought attention to it. You know I had to try for myself if I could wink with my mouth closed and yeah I can. LOL.

Glad they felt your father was alright enough to be released. That can be very scary.

Janice Grinyer said...

LOL i hate when our well meaning spouses take out the nobility status's in our heads with their humbling comments LOL


and so glad that your Dad is working on mending up ! Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery (and patience for your mom!)

Unknown said...

Smiling and winking are great. Who cares if your mouth is open or closed?

Busy Bee Suz said...

I pray that your Dad is feeling better Jenny!
This did make me laugh though....winking and keeping your mouth closed is a rare event for most of us. :)
xoxoxo

Annesphamily said...

Good to hear your dad is doing well. Prayers are always so helpful. I will be praying!
I love to wink and I need to try this so I can see how I wink! Ha Ha!
I am always happy stopping by. Have a wonderful week!
Blessings from me to you!
Anne

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I hope your dad will be OK, Jenny! Make sure he follows up with his doector appointments if you can.

ImagiMeri said...

Well, I haven't met him yet, but you just described yourself to a "T."

Thank you so much for having lunch with me the other day. It was so wonderful to catch up with you, and we musn't wait so long for the next time.

Love ya'
Meri

Susan Anderson said...

hahahaha

I only wish I could have met your hubby. You two are such a delightful pair.

=)

Terra said...

and neither of my daughters can wink, they can't close one eye at a time...I guess I won't be dropping a fortune on makeup for them! - Anywho....Your dad sounds like mine, he isn't even much of a drinker but always asks a surgeon for a vodka tonic in the operating room....the smart ass in him is always shining through! Hope all is well with yours!!!

Amy said...

Bwahahaha! So funny. I hope your dad continues to be well. That is a scary thing, driving to the hospital to see a parent. And I love how you shared his unsinkable spirit. More people like that are needed in the world. To look scary things in the face and wink. Besides, I like open mouth winks so much better than closed mouth winks. They are more dramatic and meaningful. Tell that to Mr. Jenny. ;)