Monday, August 15, 2011

Mojit-NO!

So...

Yesterday I finally got to finish one of the things that was making me crabby all week.

Don't you hate when something you dread is hanging over your head and you know it's hanging there but you can't do anything to make it hurry up because it has to happen at a specific time and...

Geez.

Never mind.

On the drive home on Sunday night after completing the 'hanging over your head' thing, I told Mr. Jenny, "I feel like having a drink when we get home."

"Do you think you should have a drink when you've been down in the dumps all week? Is that a good idea?" Mr. Jenny enquired. "What kind of a drink?"

"It's Sunday night and I'm officially over my 'oh poor me' week. What about a mojito?"

"A what?"

"A mojito. Remember how when we went to that nursery this summer the guy talked us into buying some mint plants and told us that they made the best mojitos? Why don't we try making one of those?"



"Oh, yeah," Mr. Jenny said thoughtfully. "I'm sure we have all the stuff to make them."

After we got home, I asked Mr. Jenny to get out all of the alcohol we have in the house, and I would go google the recipe. I printed it out and went back to the kitchen.

On the counter were three bottles of alcohol. One bottle held about an inch of cointreau. The second held about two inches of vodka. The final bottle was filled almost to the top with spiced rum. Mr.Jenny held up the rum bottle triumpantly, "I found this way in the back of the cupboard underneath the bag of dog food! Look, it's almost full."

"Isn't that disgusting stuff?" I enquired. "Well, no matter because, look, the recipe calls for rum, and that will be perfect. While you go pick the mint, I'll find the rest of the stuff we need."

4 mint leaves
1 lime (for juicing)
1 teaspoon powdered sugar
2 ounces white rum
2 ounces club soda
1 sprig of mint (for garnishing)
crushed ice

Preparation:
1. Put the mint leaves into a Collins glass and squeeze the lime juice over them.
2. Add the powdered sugar and then muddle the mint, lime juice and sugar together. Add crushed ice.

3. Stir in the rum and top off with the club soda.

4. Garnish with a mint sprig.

Servings: Makes one drink.


Oh boy oh boy! YessirreeBob, I was gonna be lounging on the couch with a refreshing Mojito in just a matter of minutes! I gathered the ingredients.

4 fresh mint leaves that Mr. Jenny was picking. Check.

Lime juice. I didn't have any limes but I did have an almost empty carton of lemonade in the fridge. Check.

Powdered sugar. Check.

White rum. I figured that had to be pretty close to spiced rum. Check.

No club soda but there was some tonic water in the cabinet. Check.

More mint. Check.

Crushed ice. Check.

Mr. Jenny came back shortly with a big bowl filled with mint leaves and a hopeful look on his face.



We squeezed...we muddled...we stirred...we crushed...we garnished...

We did it twice. A drink for each of us. To celebrate the end of a long week.

We toasted.

We ran to the sink to spit it out.

Acccckkk!!!!

ACCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!

GROSS!

DISGUSTING!

It definitely made us both say..."MOJIT-NO!"

I'm sure it couldn't have had anything to do with those few, small, very minor substitutions.

And because I do have almost that full bottle of spiced rum left, if I ever invite you over for cocktails, you might want to play it on the safe side, and say ...

"Ummm...gosh...ummm...I think I need to give my dog a bath..."

It would be safer for you.

I think.

Sigh...

PS. And just in case you're inclined to try, I'll also add that spiced rum and squirt are a pretty disgusting combination, too. Even if you try splashing in the vodka and cointreau. Ummm... ewwwwwwww... (but it might work to take paint of furniture)

post signature

42 comments:

Sharon said...

Spiced rum is pretty nasty stuff! I keep some on hand because I make a tincture for cold season using the rum to extract the properties of the herbs. My kids call it the "Mypos Cure" because they have to hold their nose to take it like Balki on Perfect Strangers.
Hope this week is better!

Cheryl said...

With those ingredients, I knew this was not going to turn out well. EWWWWWWWW.

Anonymous said...

Tonic water? acccccccck. ONLY with good gin, and even then, you have to like that taste. Spiced rum has it's place in the world; hot spiced rum in the winter is actually pretty nice.... I hope you have a better week, and next time, just buy one of those little "juice packs" of mojito at the store and be done with it!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Hilarious! I can always tell when folks don't drink because they approach the whole process as I do....clueless.

Thanks for the laugh, Matlock!

Valerie said...

Hi Jenny.

Too funny! I've gotta say...even with all the right ingredients, I'm not a huge mojito fan. Sort of reminded me of drinking a package or Wrigley Spearmint Gum. Perhaps, if I had one made fresh...with the correct ingredients? LOL

Wishing you a better week!

Kim Lehnhoff said...

I couldn't wrap my mind around powdered sugar in a mixed drink.

Yuck.

The grocery store sells premixed "juice box" drink concoctions for grownups...maybe you need to stash a few of those for the next time you feel an urge to Mai Tai one on!

Unknown said...

This sounds just terrible.

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I woulda just made mint iced tea and put some vodka in it.

Wanda..... said...

I like another commentor's suggestion of trying mint iced tea with vodka next time, if there is a next time, Jenny! That mojito may have cured you!

Unknown said...

Oh Jenny dear...so glad you survived your weekend! It appears you approached drink making the way I approach recipes while cooking! Fortunately, the failures are few and far between. Love you!

Terra said...

um yeah, the thought of it grossed me out!

Willoughby said...

Oh, Jenny, you need to put my number on speed dial for just such emergencies. My husband and I used to post drink recipes on my blog every Friday night. We're pretty good at improvising with whatever is on hand.

We almost always have a bottle of spiced rum around for "Captain and Coke", which is just a tall, ice filled glass of Coke mixed with a shot of spiced rum. In the winter time, we use spiced rum to make "Hot Buttered Rum".

With the ingredients you had on hand, I would have suggested lemonade with a shot of cointreau and a drizzle of grenadine (makes it a bit sweeter and gives it a beautiful pink color). It's a very refreshing drink on a hot day. You could muddle some mint in it if you want to, or just use a sprig for garnish.

I'm glad to hear that your hanging-over-your-head thing is over!

PeggyR said...

Oh my yuck, at least you tried! I know about ordeals of the week, actually months lately! I do have a drinkk at night though.

Theresa said...

Oh no thank you, I drink paint thinner:) Sounds Yu... Yu... Yucky! Funny hearing about it anywah! Enjoy your day dear Jenny!HUGS!

Monica said...

I can just picture you two running around preparing and making your drinks. ...And it makes me laugh! :)
Hope this week is better for you!

Pondside said...

Oh dear - this had no possibility of ending well. You'd better monitor one another regularly today in case you've done permanent damage!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I've never had a mojito and after this I might be afraid to try spiced rum or no spiced rum! LOL...but gosh girl you can make me laugh!! Hope this week is much better for you!!!!
hugs,
Linda

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Next time you have a week like last week, you should just let me come down and make a drink for you and Mr. Jenny. I'll fix you right up!!!

Of course, you may not be worth much the next day, but everything has a price....

xxoo,

RMW

Judie said...

Well, if you will come to Little Liz's birthday party this Saturday at 5, I will NOT offer you a Mojito, which, after reading the ingredients, really sounds disgusting, but I will offer you a frozen margarita, or a glass of wine. How are you coming with those 700 emails? My invitation is one of them.

Madge said...

That is totally the wrong recipe!!! I make super good Mojito, and it's even good if you substitute whisky for the rum.

1 tablespoon regular sugar
3/4 shot Nellie and Joe's Key Lime Juice
1 shot whisky or light rum
mint
club soda

pour a little club soda in the bottom of the glass and melt the sugar in it. fill the glass with ice add the lime juice and the booze, I rip up and crush the mint with my fingers, muddling is too much work, top with club soda and give it a little stir. ta daaa!!! Yummy mojito.

Nonna said...

Yeow Jenny hilarious ! If you have a piece of furniture to strip, this might be the recipe to use...can't imagine ingesting it under any circumstances !

Ms. A said...

That's when you should have hopped back in the car and gone out and had a good one, that someone (with experience) had to make! I'm sure you earned it!

Ames said...

Yack yack yack! Patooey!!!
You must use the "WHITE" rum, I always use white granulated sugar, and "CLUB" soda Jenny, "CLUB" soda.

While using your mortar and pestle to muddle the mint and sugar, squeeze a little fresh lime juice in with it. Do this while humming "You Put The Lime In The Coconut" and shaking your bootay.

Then put the muddled mint and sugar in the bottom of your glass and cover with a lot of "CRUSHED" ice.

Then add a shot of "WHITE" rum.
Then cover with "ClUB" soda.

That's the way we do it here!

Betcha can't drink just one!

I'm going to make me one now!~Ames

Holly Lefevre said...

Spiced rum will kill anything! I love a good mojito...but am currently enjoying skinny margaritas (YUM!). I tried to make a cosmopolitan once with vodka and Gatorade if that makes you feel any better.

aimee said...

well you were brave to try it! the mint looks good though :) hope this week treats you better!
blessings,
aimee

Dazee Dreamer said...

Man, I need a drink just to get the thoughts of that drink out of my mind. wow

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I am not a mojito fan but I'll take a nice dry vodka martini, shaken with an olive or two, please, anytime! :)

Susan Anderson said...

I only drank for a brief period in college (my rebellious/exploratory phase), but I do remember that rum was not a favorite.

Even now, the thought of that taste makes my mouth water. And not in the good way. In the bad way, like when you are getting the stomach flu.

"/

Pat Tillett said...

Too funny!
You drank your science project!
Please leave the drink making to us professionals...

21 Wits said...

Ooops! But it sounds like it was lots of fun putting it together!..and how does something that can appear so lovely and cool and refreshing be so ready for the sink?!!!! P.S. at the thought of you both I am right having a "laugh out loud!" Too funny!!!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, this is so funny. I love you both, but really, you would never make it as a bartender. :)
xoxox

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Ha! My answer to a bad day is always the same...Dr. Pepper!!! :-D
ML

mrs. c said...

Oh my stars! Too many "different ingredients"! I bet it tasted like cough syrup, BAD cough syrup! i am into frozen margaritas, just mix them up in this big old plastic bucket, what the mix comes in , put them in the freezer, and they are always there! Just help yourself, and you can even use cheapo tequila!

Nadeen said...

Ok, I live among the mojito masters. You must come visit me and try a REAL mojito.

Meanwhile, don't let that mint overrun your world. It has a tendency to do that. I built a house on top of my patch and 19 years later it showed it's little head again and I'm trying to keep it at bay.

Melinda said...

Way to funny!
Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better.

Melinda

GardenOfDaisies said...

Jenny, you are too funny! I'll just have the lime juice and club soda and perhaps a sprig of mint and leave everything else out. :-)

Next time you decide to try a new drink, you should make caipirinhas- lime muddled with fine sugar, with cracked ice and cachaca. (A Brazilian drink)

Mary said...

Your story is hillarious. I needed a good laugh and got one. Thank you. Love your photos!


Mary

H said...

It sounds disgusting! You should have gone with a small glass of neat Cointreau!

bj said...

O, great gosh, Jenny..I was already gagging before you got up and ran to the sink. NOPE, doesn't sound a bit good to me.
You are sooo funny, tho.:)
xo bj

Gattina said...

What a wonderful recepe for unwanted guests ! thank you ! they would probably never come back again. But you never know, some like it hot !

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Say it ain't so! I love mojitos!! Yours do sound interesting to say the least. I have spiced rum--I bought it to make apple pie martini's. They really are good. I'll find the recipe for you.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

Woops! It's Apple Pie Punch but really quite tasty in the fall!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sandra-lee/apple-pie-punch-recipe/index.html