Wednesday, August 17, 2011

You know that quote...

...something...something...journey of a thousand steps...?

...

Hold on.

...

Okay.

I'm back.

Thank heavens for Google.

This is the quote I was talking about...

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Google isn't quite sure, though, if Confucius said this or if it was Lao Tzu.

It doesn't really matter who said it, I guess.

It only matters if you do it.

Take the first step.

You know?

This post is dedicated to a woman (who shall remain nameless to protect her privacy) that started a journey of a thousand miles exactly one year ago, today.

She stood at the beginning of the path, took a deep breath, and starting walking.


And walking.

And walking.

And even when the road got rough and she stumbled, she picked herself up and kept walking.


She walked when she was tired.

She walked when she was heart-sick.

She walked when it was dark and she could barely see the path.

But she kept walking.

She started living her days like she wanted to live her life.

And even though it was painful and difficult, she continued.

...

...

Her path is still not easy.

There are those who would push her back into the darkness, because that is where they still dwell...and misery always, always loves company.

There are those who would encourage her not to walk. "Oh, just stop for one day," they might say.

There are those who might block her path because as she grows stronger they feel threatened.

But it doesn't matter.

Because this woman is courageous...and determined...and focused on finding a lovelier pathway for her life.



On this momentous day, I wish her well...

...and applaud the goal she has reached.

And I hope she truly knows how amazing she is...

And how she has inspired me.

Bless you.

Keep walking.

And know that I am applauding you every step of the way.

post signature

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Jenny...this is such a beautiful tribute. I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my cheeks. I am certain your friend could not have continued this journey if it weren't for the love you gave her until she could love herself, for the encouragement and support that seemed to come just as she needed it. For indeed, the path to a wonderful new life begins with that single step.

ain't for city gals said...

One step at a time..that is all any of us can do!

Terra said...

one foot in front of the other, no matter the journey no matter the reason...

Wanda..... said...

I applaud her too, Jenny!

Unknown said...

Staying on a bumpy path can be hard. Your friend is brave and strong to walk on it.

Anonymous said...

Jenny you will never know how much this was meant for me today.Thanks
~JO

Anonymous said...

Jenny can I put this on my blog?
And how? If you don't mind me sharing?
~JO

21 Wits said...

I know you meant this for a special person, many blessings from me for her journey...and yet I too feel inspired especially this day....up way to early with way too many thoughts pulling me out of bed...this comes at a special moment for probably more of us than you'll ever know. Thank you dear lady...!

Jeanie said...

Your words about the one you care about who has made this walk is inspiring to many.

Susan said...

Jenny is this you? Beautiful writing.
Susan

Anonymous said...

She's really walking, I take it.

Wonderful!

Wish she would inspire me...

'Cause I start, and stop...

Theresa said...

Yipppeeeee, I am dancing and applauding and shouting! Hallelujah!!!!!

Have a blessed day my friend, HUGS!

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is beautiful...we can all learn something from this.
YOU are a wonderful friend Jenny.

Judie said...

That road is tougher that anyone imagined. I read an article in the paper a couple of days ago about that very road. I have that walker in my thoughts. Enough said.

Ames said...

Even though this is dedicated to a specific woman, I think it could be about a lot of women. A very uplifted and encouraging post Jenny. Bravo!~Ames

Susan Anderson said...

I'm applauding her, too...a standing ovation, in fact!

(And I don't even know her.)

Sounds like both of you are lucky that YOU do.

=)

Tammy said...

What a sweet post. ♥

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

Inspirational! Lovely post! And totally got immersed in that photo of the bright fall leaves...:)

Ms. A said...

I'm certain the encouragement you give this woman, is a great motivator to take those steps. Blessings to her and to you.

Madge said...

Thank you for this post today Jenny. It's beautiful, and you are amazing, and strong, and the kind of woman I want to be when I grow up.

I wish many blessings to you and your walker. We are all walking for something, and the first steps are the hardest steps to take, they seem to cause the most pain, but the blisters become calluses, making the pain easier to bare and then the load gets lighter, and you begin to see the forest for the trees, and clearing at the edge seems attainable. And you just keep walking.

Jocelyn said...

You touched my heart today!!!! What a wonderful post!!!

I have missed you so!!!! Walking together in this life together sweet friend!!!

You amaze me!!!

Hugs!!!!!!!!!! love you

Unknown said...

Jenny,
What an incredible post!!! I am going to copy it and keep it where I can see it, because I also have had a year...and this is sooo perfect! One step at a time....I can do that! Love you! Sandy

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

No matter who this special person may be, no matter what challenges she faces... what an encouraging post from an amazing woman. Jenny, you wrote this meant for that special person; however, what an encouraging post for everyone as well.

Blessings & Aloha!

joco said...

You are making me so curious as to the actual journey of this person. I would love to know where she walked and how she found paths free from traffic.
If it is a real journey, on foot, and not 'a year in the life of' journey.
I'm not sure which.
I have cycled 1000 miles, but not walked, in a continuous line.

Willoughby said...

She sounds like one amazing woman! I almost feel as though I know her.

You are such a wonderful friend to support her along this journey. I'm sure it means the world to her.

Savannah Granny said...

Hi, Jenny, I am so happy for your friend. Her journey as related by you has been a real evolution for her. I pray that her journey continues as well as her health and growth.
I am sure we all needed this in today's troubling times.
Blessings to you and your friend, Ginger

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Such a beautiful tribute. It was very meaningful, and I'm sure even more so for the person whom you're addressing. laurie