Sunday, December 20, 2009

Dulce de wwwwwhhhatttt????

I have been working on neighbors gifts today. Making the dulce de leche I made yesterday look pretty. Making little tags for it to tell people what they can use it for. Getting a stomachache from eating too many of these addictive cheez-it ranch crackers.

It's been a good day!

The dulce de leche is something we see a lot of here in Arizona. It is a thick, very caramely mixture. So you can use it like caramel. Thin it a bit and pour it over ice cream. Use just as it is to frost cupcakes or cookies. It is fantastic swirled into your favorite brownie batter. You can use it to fill crepes or jelly roll. Or take a nice teaspoonful and stir it into some hot cocoa or hot coffee. If you swirl it into hot cocoa it is nice to put a little whipped cream on top and then add a tiny sprinkle of coarse sea salt.

It is just a delicious, smooth, sweet mouthful of caramely goodness.

Oh my.
I know I posted the recipe earlier for the addictive cheez-it snacks but here's a picture of all the stuff I use to make them and what they look like!
And now I am off to have more holiday merriment. Too many things to go to this weekend. I just want to lay on the couch and watch TV with the fire crackling merrily and the cheez-its going merrily into my mouth!

But since that's not gonna happen I need to go get a shower and start getting ready!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to admit it....I had to Google 'dulce de leche' after reading your last post.LOL
I've never heard of it before. But it sure looks yummy. Now I see all the uses for it so I just might have to try some. I love the containers that you've put yours in. What a lovely gift it will be. I'll let you know if mine comes out as nice. I'm not very good with a pressure cooker!!! I can't get the picture out of my head where everything explodes & there is caramel dripping from my ceiling like tinsel on a tree. Hummmm Wish me luck.
Judy

laterg8r said...

mmmmm, sounds sooooo goooood :D

Robin said...

Did I miss the recipe for the crackers or should I be smart enough to figure it out? It looks tasty and would love to add this and the dulce de leche to my list of things for next year. I have made a pact with myself, nothing but cream cheese when I go to the store!

Christina said...

Where is your trademark?! I missed it. :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Jenny you are such a generous friend and neighbor ...I wish I lived near you! Enjoy being a Santa's elf and delivering all those goodies :-)


Hugs, Pat

Jana said...

Okay so you totally MORE than answered my question, I didn't realize how versatile this was but I am going to systematically try everything ever with dulce de leche on it...really...might take a while but it seems soooo worth it! thanks again Jenny you rock my world.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Now that I've been sufficiently tutored in dulce de leche, I'm thinking in cocoa with whipped cream and a hint of sea salt would be HEAVEN!

Coralie Cederna Johnson said...

This is sugarly fabulous! But now I don't want to do anything but kick back and swirl whipped cream into my caramel cocoa! Yikes! You are getting me into a lot of trouble over here...and I LOVE IT! Thanks for the great recipe and I have to tell you I thoroughly enjoy your writing! Have a merry week! Coralie

Kimi said...

Ohhhh can I be your neighbor. I love that stuff. Maybe I will attempt to make it this week. I need activities to keep me busy, lol

The (Un)Experienced Mom said...

Oh that sounds delish! And I will definitely have to look at the recipe for the Cheez-it treat b/c I love those things!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today...

Tamara
www.theunexperiencedmom.com

Terri Steffes said...

Ok, so now I want some cheese-its. Do you think bugles would work in the recipe? Those are my next favorites.

Moore Minutes said...

I spotted this post on your sidebar and HAD to click since I recently tried making this sweet goodness! Yummm, your idea of swirling is through brownie batter sounds divine. I'm in the mood for this right now...thank a lot Jenny lol. ;)

Moore Minutes said...

PS love, love the jars you put these in!!