Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Story Time Tuesday - Chapter 4

If you missed STORIES FROM HOME - Chapter Three, just click here. Jenny Matlock
STORIES FROM HOME - Chapter Four

Throughout the afternoon the sad little house had done its best to see through the tall weeds and the cool green summer leaves.

Mesmerized by the happy sounds of children talking and laughing, the sad little house barely saw the afternoon shadows grow longer.

It was only as the sounds became quieter that the sad little house noticed the sky was alight with the beginning sunset’s rosy-pink glow.

As the sky grew more beautiful the sounds disappeared completely and the sad little house grew lonely and started to despair.

Perhaps the sounds of children had never been real. Perhaps the noises had only been imagination and dreams trying to come true.

The sad little house already knew, though, that wishing something doesn’t always make it so.

But sometimes wishing is all there is…

And so…as the fireflies started their twinkling dance in the cooling evening air, the sad little house made one last, tiny wish for the day, “Oh, I hope the calico cat comes and lays on my porch again tonight!”

When the tall weeds at the edge of the woods parted, the sad little house was certain its wish was coming true.

But suddenly the sad little house realized it was not the cat coming to visit, but instead three children standing at the edge of the woods with their mouths forming perfect “ohs”!

The three little girls had stopped suddenly when they saw the little house.

In the last pink glow of the sunset, the girls did not notice the paint peeling into little drifts of grey.

Alight with the twinkle of fireflies, the little girls did not notice the tall weeds growing around the little house.

And in the cool evening air the little porched looked welcoming, and not the least bit weathered and worn.

And so…they cautiously left the woods and took several steps toward the little house.

To be continued on Tuesday, May 18.

(c) 2010 Jennifer R. Matlock
This publication is the exclusive property of Jennifer R. Matlock and is protected
under the US Copyright Act of 1976 and all other applicable international, federal, state and local laws. The contents of this post/story may not be reproduced as a whole or in part, by any means whatsoever, without consent of the author, Jennifer R. Matlock. All rights reserved.

post signature

30 comments:

Jeanie said...

Great imagery of the kids coming upon the house. You have left us with hope of good things to come.

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I can just imagine, the house trying its mightiest to look handsome and welcoming.

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

"But sometimes wishing is all there is…"

my favorite line! cheering for the little house:)

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

I'm starting to look forward to this every Tuesday! Its a great way to start my morning.

grammy said...

Love your story today
Loved the quote from Abe,,,,so true
What sand?
Like you had sand delivered? or the beach near your house lol
actually in Mexico last summer...the sand was mostly gone from the beach...leaving lots of rocks (o:

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

"Perhaps the noises had only been just imagination and dreams trying to come true."

My favorite sentence in this chapter. I'm totally captivated by the story.

Andrea said...

Yeah! The sad little house should become happy soon!

Tina said...

Again, WOW. This is going to be an amazing book. Who is going to do your illustrations?

Linda Medrano said...

I absolutely love your writing! I think this is magical! Wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

Holly said...

I feel like a little girl being read to before bed...just a little bit longer mommy????? This story is so dear, I just can't get enough!!!

I agree with Paula on my favorite line...the wishing line!!

Such beauty in your story, Jenny.
Thanks for sharing!!

Marlene said...

You're a fantastic writer!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the sweet compliment!

Susan Anderson said...

I like the line "sometimes wishing is all there is..." So true.

And the story is charming, Jenny.

=)

Brittany said...

I could just imagine being one of your children or grandchildren...

and right now i'd be saying "Just a little bit longer.. just a little bit longer! pahhh leseeee!"

I was so excited to hear more of the story, and now I just want even more! *sigh*

I'll try and be patient!

Jo said...

"sometimes wishing is all there is..." geez i just love that line ... wonderful imagery ... i look forward to next Tuesday!

Jocelyn said...

Love this week's story!!!! Oh I so want to the little house to be Happy again!!!

Letherton said...

I stumbled across your blog and wanted to say hi.
Take a minute an check my blog out if you haven't already.
I have lots of great giveaways going on.
Thanks :)

ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

Dee said...

Mt heart is with the little house.

Cheryl said...

Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue...

(Howsabout you write a little bit each day instead of about anything else?)

Lovin' this all to pieces. The line about hope brought to mind a couple of folks I know who are struggling right now. I think I'll send them the link.

Darcie said...

It's so funny...as I read about the little house and his saddness, my brows furrow. I feel such emotions when I read your stories. Love it!

Lisa said...

Yea! I love this!! See you next week!
Hugs,Lisa

Ms. A said...

*applause
Can't wait for more!

Lourie said...

Ooooh! They found the house! Now what? I should be reading this to my kids. I am just taking it in all for me! haha.

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...

Jenny Thank you for the lovely post today May 11th on La Bella Vie! You are very sweet! And might I say if I have not already, you are an amazing author!
Terry

Terra said...

They are Seeing beauty in that house - I can't wait to read on. As we bounce from the girls thoughts to houses I am forever filed with the pictures in my head and possibly the same wonderment the girls have!

Bits-n-Pieces said...

You've been given an award at my blog!!

Julia Christie said...

Lovin this! Looking forward to next week. I love how you give the house a life of it's own. I forget while reading that it's a house, not a living breathing being. That is effective imaginative writing at it's best!

Smiles

Unknown said...

I like the sad little house....I cant wait till it is happy again.....

Mrs. M said...

I love this house, hope those children can help cheer it up!

Brenda said...

I'm so excited for the SLH! I can't wait to read the next chapter...hooray!!!

Beedeebabee said...

Jenny, I LOVE this beautiful story...I hope the little house gets happy again. Can't wait for next week! xo Paulette