Saturday, July 10, 2010

Saturday Centus - Shake Up!

Jenny Matlock
Welcome to the tenth week of Saturday Centus. We are going to celebrate with something a little different to shake things up. Normal programming will resume July 17th.
This is a themed writing meme as usual.

But this weeks challenge will be not only tied to a genre but you can have an additional 100 words to use if you want them.

Each linked essay must be 200 words or less, not including the "prompt" words and written in the Harlequin Romance style. (Yea, Tom, this one is for you!) Go ahead and do your "bodice ripping" but just don't use any profanity. No pictures as always. The prompt words can be used in any place within your story but must be left intact. You cannot split the prompt. What a fun challenge. If you don't write romance or haven't read an HR before here's a little sample to help you step out of your comfort zone and mimic some of the cheesiest..."Their eyes met across a crowded rooms. His eyes slipped lower to the heaving orbs straining the buttons of her flimsy shirt. The ran across the room and collided together into an explosion of sparks and passion. As the sun set... blah, blah, blah!"

It's a shake up! It will be fun!

Please display SC link button or just a hyper-link back to Saturday Centus. Be careful to link your SC URL to the Linky and not just link to your main blog.

And we can't really do a shake-up week without a prize so all linked SC's will go into a drawing for the book "The Wishing Years" by bloglands very own Coralie Cederna Johnson. And while Wishing Years is not a Harlequin Romance it is a wonderful journey to small-town USA in the 40's and 50's.

Here's the prize! Coralie has two blogs and is an active participant in Alphabe-Thursday! You can visit Vintage Cottage Home by clicking here and then follow the link to her vintage recipe blog!

I'm certain these are going to be really fun reads this week so PLEASE make an effort this week to visit EACH and EVERY entry.

The link will be live from this morning until 8 AM MST, July 17. Drawing will be conducted sometime over the weekend after the link closes for a copy of Coralie's book.

Please e-mail me directly with ???'s or ask your question in a comment and I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible.

WEEK 10 Shake Up! PROMPT

"When I turned around I was startled to meet a green eyed gaze..."


You have until next Saturday morning to link your post! Have fun!

post signature

22 comments:

Cheryl said...

Yer kiddin' me, right? RIGHT? I've never read a Harlequin romance in my life. Word.

U R SO OUTTA MY WILL!

Lisa said...

Hi. Sounds exciting and challenging. I'll plan to be here to read the entries. All the best to every one participating.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

I've never read one either. Never Ick! I don't even read things by Danielle Steele or Nora Roberts! Ick!


If you lived closer to me, I'd punch you in the arm.

LuLu Kellogg said...

LOL @ what PJ said.....

*covering mouth laughing*

Jewel said...

woohoo!! i read and write romances....i am so looking forward to this. this will be fun.

Cheryl said...

This isn't over. Not by a long shot. If I were the violent type, I'd punch you in the other arm. Since I'm not, U R SO OUTTA MY HUBS WILL 2!

Cheryl said...

@Jewel. U R OUTTA MY WILL 2! + HUBS WILL 2.

Terra said...

OH KNOW! I, like Cheryl, have never read a Harlequin Romance Novel. I have no idea how to even begin this one! Now I wish it was only 100 words! HA HA! OH STINK. OH STANK. OH Jenny.

Koby said...

Brutal Jenny, purely brutal. ;-)

Kat said...

And for all this time I've been telling everyone what a wonderful, lovely, funny, compassionate person you were. HA! I've never read a Harlequin romance in my life, not even when I was a lovestruck teenager. It's not April 1st, so I have to assume this is real. And NOW we get more words to play with? You sure do know how to stir the pot. Ok, I'll take this challenge. But it doesn't mean I'm going to like it. Only the lure of the prize could make me do this :) Kat

Cheryl said...

@Kat You're killing me here!

Sami said...

Oh gosh. I don't know what to say. Except... you are EVIL! All right, I'll have to channel my inner Fabio and Fabioette for this one! Look out!!

Vicki/Jake said...

OMG, EVERYONE STOP WHINING AND JUST WRITE!!! C'MON, WHERE'S YOUR ADVENTURE? SURELY NOT BRUISING POOR JENNY'S ARMS!! mwahahaha


Jake

Tgoette said...

I've never read a romance novel either, but once in the hospital I was subjected to a soap opera, does that count? I will do my best, Jenny. Thank you for thinking of me for such a fun challenge!

To get into the mindset simply repeat "heaving bosoms, heaving bosoms, heaving bosoms."

Cheryl said...

Tom, you sexist pig. And I mean that in a good way, if there is such a thing.

I was thinking more along the lines of "sweaty abs, sweaty abs, sweaty abs..."

Anonymous said...

Not a happy bunny! What willmy readers think?!! you've set a challenge though & you know me....!

Tina said...

Even though I pickled my brain with far too many romances during my teen years, this one was hard to do. But thanks for stretching us and challenging us. That I do enjoy.

Susan Anderson said...

Upping the ante, eh? Okay. I'm game!

=)

Terra said...

ok we all whined a little (well, almost all) but I just got through with the first 14 and with the exception of number 2 this was my absolute FAVORITE week to read! You all did so well, spinning, twisting and even sticking it to teacher now and then. Thanks Jenny - this was fun!

Unknown said...

LOL...had something planned but then I read your instructions and did not expect it to follow a style as well. I took full advantage of the 200 word allowance. I hope I did "harlequin" proud.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

When I turned around I was startled to meet a green eyed gaze of a semi-conscious, totally buff, partially dressed young man lying on my bedroom floor.

"Ryan, is that you?" I asked as I rubbed my eyes.

"Yes," he moaned. "What happened last night?"

"The last thing I remember is running in to you in the parking lot at the gym," I replied.

I looked down and realized I was wearing my "sexy" nightie.

(76 words) What do you think, Jenny? Should I give up picture book writing???

I'm going to have to get my act together and join in officially one Saturday...

Thanks for the fun!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/07/pinks-in-6-words-i-wish-u-award-winning.html

6 awards,
please feel free to take any of them
Smiles!

ignore if you dislike them.
have fun with your new challenge,