Wednesday, November 7, 2012

It was our Anniversary...

I dressed up.

I put on a black cotton shirt. With my shorts.

And new make-up.



My recently dyed auburn hair looked shiny and pretty in the mirror.

I checked my teeth.

No red smears across my thrice brushed pearly whites.

I was ready to go.

I went into the kitchen and his eyes lit up.

  I’m not just saying that because I turned the overhead light on.

“Wow,” you look really nice said my husband of thirteen years. It had been a tough twelve months to survive, but we had made it through one of the worst periods of our lives together

…and even though it wasn’t easy…

…and even though many of the losses from the time period were catastrophic…

…we had survived…

…and we even still LIKED each other.

My parents had given us $50 dollars for our Anniversary. We decided to spend it …

all at once…

in one place…

in a splurge.

He opened the car door when we left the house.

He opened the car door when we got to the restaurant. We went to one of our favorite restaurants and got there early enough to stretch our bucks and feast on half-priced appetizers and $2 dollars off drinks.

We both ordered margaritas. I’m not much a drinker and when I do drink about ¼ of a serving does me in.

But, hey. We survived an awful year. Margaritas were definitely required.

Mr. Jenny looked at me all sweet over the rim of his glass.

He made a mushy toast…

…awwww…

…awwwww…

It was sweet.

We touched our glasses together…

I took a little sip of my margarita.

And started to choke.

Acccckkk!

Acccckkk!!!

My throat closed up and it was quite scary.

I gulped down water and was finally able to breathe again.

“Gosh,” I said breathlessly, ‘Can we try that again?”

So he did.

He said all kinds of mushy stuff...again…

…and we went to click our glasses together…

…and a piece of salt from the rim of the glass flew into my eye.



Seriously.

I scrinched up my eye and it started watering like crazy and the mascara I had carefully applied ran into attractive little black half-moons…

…and I had to run into the bathroom to get my contact out.

Seriously.

I came back and sat down in the booth again. I looked at Mr. Jenny.

“You know what?” I said, “Let’s just skip the whole toast thing. We survived this past year.  Things are going to start getting better now!"

Mr. Jenny sighed.

“Yes, we did survive an awful year,” he retorted, “Now I’m just hoping you can survive this dinner.”

So, yeah.

Happy Anniversary Mr. Jenny.

I’m sorry there’s not more dull moments being married to me.

Sigh...
 
post signature

27 comments:

Sayantini said...

Happy anniversary Jenny! Always be blessed with these wonderful moments.
Good luck. Have a lovely life ahead :)

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

ahhhhh.....makes me all misty eyed and everything! dull moments are overrated...

xxoo,

rmw

Wanda..... said...

Happy Anniversary, Jenny! Wishing you both all the best this next year of marriage. Your anniversary is close to mine. Our 49th was on the 2nd.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! Never a dull moment for sure! Big Hugs, Linda

Tami Von Zalez said...

Happy Anniversary JM - here's to salt in the eye!

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

myletterstoemily said...

this is such a clever re-telling of a special
moment (despite the toasts!) you are a
gifte story teller.

Amrit Sinha said...

Happy Anniversary my friend ... have a great great time ahead !!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Happy Anniversary Jenny! Here's to 13 more!

Gail said...

Oh, Ms Jenny, you could have fun in a concrete box and we would laugh with the tellig.

Happy Anniversary.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Aw!!! Happy, HAPPY Anniversary!!! Sorry to hear of the rough past year, but all the best and happiest of times to come ahead for many, many more!!!

I truly love your humor and gift...the gift of communication and use of words...

Blessings & Aloha!
I am still visiting our daughter, son in law and little grand baby, so only now catching up a bit with blog visits.

Theresa said...

Laughing out loud at this one:) You bring JOY to my day! Have a wonderful evening, HUGS!

Ms. A said...

Happy Anniversary! (I recommend a straw)

Jeanie said...

Congrats on surviving a rough year and an ill-fated toast....and
happy anniversary.

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

Happy anniversary to you both...here's to a better year full of love and laughter. Cathy

Maureen Wyatt said...

Thanks for the chuckle! Surviving the dinner is funny. Happy anniversary and have a totally wonderful new year! ~ Maureen

Cathy Kennedy said...

Aaaah, how precious and sweet! Happy Anniversary to you, Miss Jenny & Mr Jenny! XOXO to you for many more wonderful years together.

Heather{Our Life In a Click} said...

You are so funny and happy anniversary you two lovebirds! I'm jealous that you can wear shorts right now!

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary, Miss Jenny.You are so funny yet very sweet.

All the best x

lissa said...

never a dull moment, I'm sure, happy anniversary!

SarahBeth said...

Oh oh oh, that's hysterical! What a grand way to start out your next year together! Hope it will be a good one!

Joanne Lendaro said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!!

It's never easy no matter what the number. Just passed our 26th and it was a doozie of a day. Just have to remember to take it one day at a time and there is always a chance tomorrow can be better.

congrats!!

Splendid Little Stars said...

I am actually laughing out loud.
Yes, I do realize this is not funny.
But oh Jenny, you do have a way with words and can turn a sour event into a party!
Happy Anniversary! big wishes for many more!
and congratulations on surviving the catastrophes large and small.

Susan Anderson said...

Happy anniversary. I have a feeling you two are a match made in heaven.

For sure.

=)

PS. Still chuckling, by the way. sorry

Terra said...

Oh Jenny - I just love you and Mr. Jenny! Happy Anniversary - I am sorry I missed it. I am sitting here feeling all sentimental not even laughing at your mishaps!

Moore Minutes said...

Happy Anniversary and big blessings to you and your husband. Sending my love and prayers for PEACE this coming year.

J said...

That sounds exactly like something that would happen to me.