Friday, November 30, 2012

I've been threadened...

...and frankly...

I was scared.

It happened because I'm polite.

And I don't like to tell anyone I can't understand them.

As a consequence...

...and quite often, actually, at the nail salon, I kinda/sorta just smile dumbly and agree without really knowing what the actual question was.

You'd think I'd know better.

After all...

I'm a Mom...

...and a Grandma...

...and I learned really quickly with all these kids to NEVER EVER EVER answer 'yes' to any question I didn't totally comprehend.

BUT...

...now that I've been threadened I will be more careful to not just answer blindly.

Or would that be dumbly?

Either way...

There I was...

Sitting in terror while my usual pedicure lady gave me a pedicure around my wounded toenail (that terrifying story linked here and p.s. these are soooooo not my own, personal feet)...


When the other lady that's not my usual pedicure lady came up and peered at my face and asked...

Okay.   I don't know what she asked.  I didn't understand.

I smiled at her.

She asked, "You want something something something?" again.

I nodded at her.

She asked again. "You want something something something?"

Finally I just said, "Sure, no problem, yes."

In about 10 seconds she was back with a spool of thread.

Hmmm...I wondered if maybe she had been asking me if I wanted to watch  her mend something.

She did want me to watch her mend something...

...only the something was my eyebrows.

See?

Threadened.

She took a long piece of thread of the spool and started whipping it around in the air.

"Wait, wait, what are you doing?" I semi-shouted in panic.

"I fixing  eyebrows.  Your's are very bad."

"So...you're saying this is a discipline thing?   You're going to punish my eyebrows with thread?"

"Awwww, you too funny!" she said punching my arm.  "Isn't she too funny?" she asked the usual pedicure girl who quickly agreed.  "Oh yes, yes, she is too funny."

Funny or not, the thread thing continued.

And I'm not totally sure how she did it.

She kept crissing and crossing the string and then capture deviant eyebrows in their depilitary lasso.  I think you can see the whole procedure if you click on this picture. (and p.s. these are soooooo not my own, personal  eyebrows)


A pull, a tiny pinch...goodbye errant hair and time to move onto the next victim.

It felt weird.

It didn't really hurt.

It wasn't as relaxing as a hot stone pedicure or eating chocolate.

But after a few minutes when she asked, "Do you want me to something, something, something?", I made her clarify until I understood.

Apparently people get threaded all over their face, arms and body!

"Why? and... ALL over their body?"

"Yes, yes," she got very excited, "It make you very smooth.   Very, very smooth."

She didn't say this in a threadening tone of voice or anything.

She said it nicely.

But I declined her kind offer.

She didn't have nearly enough thread in that teensy spool to make me 'very, very smooth' all over.

So, really.

Why bother?

Right?

I hope you didn't feel threadened in any way by the silliness of this post.

Hee hee.
post signature

25 comments:

vivian said...

thanks for the laugh! you seriously crack me up!
have a great weekend
xoxo

Terra said...

ok, I have never heard of this. Does it work? I don't think I could do it! I did a similar thing at nail salon once though and ended up getting my brows waxed - they were red and itchy for a week. Never again!

Jeanie said...

I need to find your threading lady...I have had my eyebrows threaded and it hurt like crazy. I have to be in a self-punishment frame of mind to do it.

Monica said...

The girls and I see this in the mall all the time and think it looks awful! I don't think I could do it. How do your eyebrows look, by the way??

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

well how do they look? better than waxing?

Flat Creek Farm said...

Too funny!! Ok.. been wanting to try this. You didn't scare me.. at least not too much ;) -Tammy p.s. miss ya, Jenny - I don't get around much anymore. hey, isn't that a song?!

21 Wits said...

Oh this was so funny and I totally got the something, something, something- I mean really who wouldn't especially since we are mothers and grandmas I mean the something, somethings we try to get all day long all our lives right. Or something like that! Hahahahahahaha!

Pondside said...

There you go again, Jenny, stepping up to the plate and offering yourself as the tester to something I've always wanted to try. It doesn't sound too bad - maybe I'll go ahead and go for it! You are, by the way, just absolutely intrepid!

enthusiastically, dawn said...

Seriously, you kill me. I mean I am not threadened by your humor BUT I love this story and must share. The cleverness of your writing is both unnerving and ever so amusing! Love to you, Miss Jenny! I would so love to have tea, or coffee...or just chew tobacco with you. OK, not that last one. But just checking if you are reading these comments!

Viki said...

Oh my, I thought this was going to turn into a 50 Shades thing, lol.

Sue said...

I've seen these little booths in the malls where they do this, but I will stick to tweezers thank you! This made me laugh!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I am laughing with you because I sometimes just nod and say yes when I don't understand! I've never been 'threaded' but it doesn't sound half bad as long as it's ONLY my eyebrows. We will leave my body out of this!!!

hugs, Linda

21 Wits said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dazee Dreamer said...

I've heard of that threading process. I'm never brave enough to try anything different. I've been threatened this week, but thats a whole different scary story.

Jo said...

Not all threaders are created equal ... some hurt ... but the process is so much better than waxing or tweezing .... so glad you tried it!

Ms. A said...

I've seen it done and was amazed thread could do that. Perhaps if I had eyebrows, I would try it, but, like you said... there's not enough thread to do smooth all over.

Susan Anderson said...

Threadened, no.

Completely delighted, yes.

=)

Lorrie said...

I've been threadened and need to go again. But it hurts like the dickens and I have to scrunch up my courage, take an Advil and tell myself it's only a few moments of pain for beautiful eyebrows. Is it worth it? Looking at the current sad state of my eyebrows, I'd say so.

So funny, Jenny. Glad you were able to understand before you were TOTALLY threadened!

Unknown said...

Thank you for trying this. I don't think I am up for it.

Theresa said...

So funny, I don't understand them either! I haven't seen that done but hey... if it works:) Have a blessed weekend, HUGS!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Jenny, I thought you were going to say that she sewed your toes together. LOL WHy? I don't know. But I'm glad it was a milder form of trheading.

XO,

Sheila

Wanda..... said...

Wondering if you'll ever do it again, Jenny!

Rita said...

I've never heard of threading, but it looks really cool! Way better than plucking or waxing your eyebrows. Doesn't look painful and it says it is not. Wow! I learned something new today. Cool! I think you should do the eyebrows again. I think I'd pass on the rest of my body, though, too--ROFL!! ;)

Just Mags said...

Never heard of threading until now. It sure does leave the eyebrows looking nice. Thanks for posting the video. Hugs

Judie said...

Many years ago, a neighbor from Iran taught me how to "thread" my legs. Glad you reminded me of that! Hmmm, I just might try it again!! Why now?Because Friday night, I shaved my legs, but forgot to take the plastic guard off the razor! I don't wear my glasses in the shower.