Sunday, January 8, 2012

The beating of my heart is the only sound...

This suspenseful little cliffhanger is linked to week 88 of Saturday Centus. It is a two part prompt, and the four word prompt is in bold. To read other offerings, just click here.


I ran.

I’d like to say 'like the wind' but I’m too old and fat.

But I ran as fast as I could.

My heart was pounding so hard I couldn’t hear if he was following. With every thud-thud-thud of that over-exerted, under-exercised muscle, my panic grew.

I lost a shoe.

There was no time to grieve my favorite brown leather Keen.

Thud-thud-thud…

My glasses fell off.

Thud-thud-thud….

And then I fell off.

I grabbed…

I’m certain I broke a nail…

Thud-thud-thud…

I’m certain I swallowed my heart…

Thud-thud- thud…

There I was…hanging off a cliff

…and he came up to the edge…

Thud-thud-thud…


...to be continued...

post signature

14 comments:

anitamombanita said...

It cracks me up that even in a heart pounding, heart stopping moment like this, your humor that is uniquely yours still shines through...can't wait to hear what happens next!

Ms. A said...

Yeah... what Anita said!

Unknown said...

Can't wait to read next week and find out what ever happened to the finger with the broken nail! :)

Actually...you had my heart thud-thud-thudding right along with you. What will become of our heroine?

21 Wits said...

First, I have glue for your nail! ;) ....Oh sure, now I have to bang my head against the wall with a thud-thud-thud until next Saturday! Who in the world thought up this to be continued!!! ha ha ha ha

Ames said...

You give me a case of anxiety....and I bet I dream about this tonight too. :I

I sure hope that it's Mr. Jenny reaching down to pull you up to safety and not that thug stepping on your fingers until you drop into the abyss.

Can a person get tachycardia from reading??? You should post a disclaimer.~Ames

Susan Anderson said...

Had to laugh at the comment from Ames. My heart got going a little faster reading this, too!

=)

Unknown said...

thud thud thud - I'm scared now and strangely one of the things that always scares me is the idea of hanging off a a cliff by my hands as I know I could not support my weight.

Vicki/Jake said...

Hmmm sounds like a halloween joke I heard once...Thud Thud Thud...wish I could remember the punch line:) I'll just have to come read more next week!

Busy Bee Suz said...

What? Broken nail and a lost shoe? This is frightful Jenny!

Judie said...

Please telll me your centus doesn't involve horse poop!!

Viki said...

LOL, I could hardly go on reading from laughing so much after that second line. You are just too funny.

Leovi said...

Thrilling and exciting story.

Rek Sesh said...

You broke a nail of your MC, how could you?? Fantastic...suspense filled, my heart went thud-thud too.

Sean Vessey said...

Nothing likea little soft shoe, a broken nail, and a cliffhanger to make your day! Great Segway!